• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as "normal" for this phone :). I've seen people report everything from a mere 10-15 hours with normal use (ie. perhaps including a couple of hours of screen time) up to some claiming they get several days on a charge.

The first couple of months I had mine it would drain almost exactly 1% battery per hour on idle, but with normal use I still counted on a daily charge if I was actively using the phone for more than a couple of hours.

The last two weeks it's been draining around 3% per hour on idle. With around three hours of screen time the battery can stretch to perhaps 20-24 hours.

The extensive battery stats from Battery Monitor Widget Pro (which I installed a few days ago) doesn't really reveal what's causing the increased drain during inactivity. I see nothing unusual in the stats regarding awake time or any visible processes taking up unusual amounts of CPU time.

Anyway, a daily recharge is fine with me. But if battery drain should mysteriously increase further I'd obviously be somewhat less pleased.

Miths000 your unexplained drain during screen of (idling) could be explained by wakelocks.. you could install betterbatterystats and select partial wakelocks and that should show you whats causing the device to wake up and use power.. main things are sync etc

Reactions: Miths000
Upvote 0
Battery Monitor Pro also lists some "* wakelock *"s (it doesn't specify which apps or services might be causing them though), but they take up very little CPU time.

I'll give BetterBatteryStats a try as well.

Is there really any need for that then as the in built battery monitor will tell you exactly the same. You can even stick a shortcut to the battery usage on your homescreen. Surely adding that just drains more than in the first place?

Upvote 0
I probably won't keep using any of these detailed battery monitors (I just bought BetterBatteryStats as well) - I just wanted to see if they could help track down what might be causing the additional drain during idle that I've seen the last few weeks.
In addition to that it has actually also been quite interesting to use Battery Monitor to see how many mA different kinds of activities tend to drain - and for that matter how much the charging cycle varies. I've learned a lot about batteries I didn't know :).

Anyway, BetterBatteryStats hasn't really been telling me anything either that looks unusual to me, with the exception of an "AlarmManager" (I googled it, it's not an app but presumably some kind of function any app using a timer can call) that has a high wakelock count - 1387 times in a couple of hours. But that still only accounts for 48 seconds of wakelock time.

It's been two hours and fifty minutes since my last full charge. Of that time the screen has been on for 24 minutes and the phone awake for 38 minutes, which doesn't sound all that unusual to me - although perhaps under ideal circumstances the screen and awake time ought to be a little closer to each other?

Upvote 0
I a very happy owner of samsung galaxy s2. iam very impressed with the phone. Off late there is a battery drain issue. After I fully charge my mobile phone the battery constantly goes down with no calls, no internet, no wifi, screen brightness is at 8 percent. I checked in the battery used data and found Mediaserver is the highest battery user. I downloaded an app Android booster and it helped me identify that there is a in device app called BLUETOOTH AVRCP ACTIVE and consuming lots of battery. When i switch off the phone and restart it this app is no longer active and i get battery back up of good 3 days, If i just charge 100percent and dont restart THE PHONE,the app BLUETOOTH AVRCP is again the culprit which starts consuming the battery and the phne is dead in 14 hours with absolutely no use. Can anybody plz help me to resolve this issue.

I was able to resolve the problem by rebooting the phone by pressing the power button continuasly for 8 seconds. Iam extermely happy with this samsung product.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones