1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General poor build quality

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mrcaptain, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mrcaptain

mrcaptain Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    So, after having the tab a full month, i've noticed it's rather cheaply built.
    For one, the left hand (as you hold it) plastic bit on the back moves and creaks quite a lot, almost as if it's not been clicked into place properly.
    The small space between the screen and case collects fluff and bits of debris which is nigh impossible to get out.
    The vibration seems either too strong, or improperly placed, resulting in a slight (well, more than slight) clicking in the top left of the tab.

Watching a film at a lowish volume level results in it being hard to hear, i've found the best way is to hold the tab at the bottom, cupping my hands around the speakers to divert the sound round to the front, and subsequently giving the illusion that the sound is louder, although it is just directed better. The most obvious solution would be to turn the volume up, but when the missus is sleeping next to me, I don't want to wake her. In saying that, even listening to it at a decent level can still result in it being hard to hear.

It just seems that it could have been designed a lot better.

Anything you guys have noticed?

Advertisement

2. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Seems like you are talking about the Transformer ;)

3. pwalt

pwalt Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I generally don't use the sound on my tablet, and if I want to listen to something while my MR is sleeping ... well ... that's what headphones are for.

The build quality on mine is great. No creaking, no clicking, power button is not loose (I've heard others complaining of that) ... nothing. Everything is solid.

Maybe you got a production dud (or, as rushmore mentioned, a Transformer ;))?

4. mrcaptain

None

Jun 22, 2010
    I can't use headphones, as we have a two year old, and I wouldn't be able to hear him if something happened.

I know it's a problem with a lot of them, as I have read a lot of problems with the tab.
    To be honest, I wish i had known about the transformer before I bought this, as it's a lot cheaper, and basically the same.

I'm not to bothered as I have put up with it this long.

5. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    Mine had a defective power button & was returned to the store.
    I feel your pain about the speakers. When I had it in my lap the speakers would get covered up, and the sound would be muffled. I had no choice but to put it in my lap, because it's kind of heavy to hold for too long. I feel as though the speakers should have been placed on the side of the unit.

6. mrcaptain

None

Jun 22, 2010
    I don't mind holding it, i've found a way to hold it comfortably whilst directing the sound from the speakers a lot better.
    I would have preferred them to add an extra Inch to the front at the bottom and have the speakers there.

7. PeteDee

PeteDee Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    If you get one of the Acer cases that will help a little, you could just use one ear bud.

For goodness sake what do you do with your two year old when you are both asleep????????????

8. splatoid

splatoid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    Repair Technician for Grocery stores Auto meat wra
    Washington State
    If I remember you sleep lightly with young kids but that been a long time ago for me.
    I use my ear buds most of the time. I watch movies while I'm in my work van on lunch and I can hear quite good without the ear buds but I do like the ear buds better. The build quality is good for me. I don't much like the volume button though with my case on I can hardly work it.
    I have had it in the case from day one and I cant stand trying to hold it without the case. Its too slick. Really no problems for me I love this unit its been great for caring around. Hell I even gave up my laptop to my wife.

9. mrcaptain

None

Jun 22, 2010
    The screen also seems to be coming away at the bottom.

10. splatoid

splatoid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    Repair Technician for Grocery stores Auto meat wra
    Washington State
    I use a green toothpick the plastic kind for getting the dust out of the cracks around the screen but nothing is coming apart on mine. I would at least bring it into the store and see what they think.