• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poor call quality confirmed by HTC & VZW

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
My Inc has gotten to the point that I do not like using it much to make calls, due to muddy call quality and voices dropping in and out. I tried the usual resets, *228 and assured my settings were CDMA & PRL. Today, I called Verzion and a rep stated very clearly that they have had a lot of calls about the problems and HTC is working on a software update. I then checked with stores and our company account rep is also aware of the issue. I am surprised Engadget and others have not picked up on this yet.

I asked one rep how they can be sure a software update would correct this and what happens if they can not. The rep then was empathic that it would be fixed by software update.

The issue must be the real deal, since everyone appeared to say the same thing- almost script level. The only people that appeared to be clueless were some at the local Best Buy in Lexington. A sales person said they had heard nothing, but another said they had got complaints.

I feel bad for doubting people that stressed concerns about this over a month ago. I had a few issues, but attributed it to the other person's connection, since I had not noticed it happen much. My call quality has seemed to have gotten worse in the past month. Everything else about the Inc rocks, but the phone function is a rather important one.

Question is, what happens if a software update does not fix the issue?

Thinking about it, the EVO cult may latch on this like clingfilm.... Nothing left to see, please move along....

I'm sort of wondering how such a thing can even be fixed through software. Is it not simply a hardware limitation?

The bitrate/bandwidth utilized during the call can be adjusted via software. Generally, the more robust the codec, the better the audio quality...assuming one has link quality sufficient enough to support the higher bandwidth.

Radio transmit/receive power may be able to be adjusted as well.

Reactions: SCARLETnGREY
Upvote 0
My call quality is fine. I live in Tennessee and I can go from an area with superb coverage to one that isn't quite as strong and don't notice so much as a hiccup. There are places "out in the country" that just doesn't get Verizon coverage at all, but so long as I've got a bar... my calls sound just fine.

I came from an LG Voyager that had amazing call quality, but I can say that it sounds better than the Droid or the Eris. Take that for what it's worth. I haven't gone through a bunch of tests, but I use my phone quite a bit.

Upvote 0
My call quality is fine. I live in Tennessee and I can go from an area with superb coverage to one that isn't quite as strong and don't notice so much as a hiccup. There are places "out in the country" that just doesn't get Verizon coverage at all, but so long as I've got a bar... my calls sound just fine.

I came from an LG Voyager that had amazing call quality, but I can say that it sounds better than the Droid or the Eris. Take that for what it's worth. I haven't gone through a bunch of tests, but I use my phone quite a bit.

That's been my experience... My hearing sucks, and call quality has been my #1 complaint on every cell phone I've had for years.

The incredible marks the first time I don't find myself saying "What?" 10 times per call... I've also noticed that the folks I'm talking to aren't doing that to me anymore, as well...

I may be one of the luckiest Inc owners in the country - decent stock battery life (before I went with the 2150), no bugs and great call quality.

Upvote 0
I agree the issue is odd. I thought it may be network area related, but had the problem on a trip to DC. Same problem in DC, and east KY, WV, and Virginia. Phone signal was fine in most places, but call quality was consistently poor.

Used GPS a LOT and it was perfectly clear, but Inc audio call quality is poor, regardless of which speaker, so not an ear-speaker issue.

Upvote 0
I agree the issue is odd. I thought it may be network area related, but had the problem on a trip to DC. Same problem in DC, and east KY, WV, and Virginia. Phone signal was fine in most places, but call quality was consistently poor.

Used GPS a LOT and it was perfectly clear, but Inc audio call quality is poor, regardless of which speaker, so not an ear-speaker issue.

That's the same thing with me. I've not used my phone with a BT headset though and that may correct the issue though I doubt it. To clarify, the issue is with me hearing callers clearly. They're garbled and they break up. The people on the other end can hear me just fine with no complaints. I just have problems hearing them.

Upvote 0
Guys, problem solved. Before i switched towers to b, heard soft muffled sounds. Need to google directions, but so easy. Google" tower b incredible" just dial 4 digit number to open tower options. Night and day!

Thanks! Is this solution the same as EVRC-B tower selection? If so then I'll give it another try (didn't quite improve call quality on my original Incredible).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones