• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poor Reception & Cricket Customer Support No Help

First, there are no less than 3 reseller stores less than half a mile away from my home.

Second, the cricket coverage search on their website shows I should have excellent signal.

However, anywhere I walk in and around my home, I get 2 bars max. If I am outside, I may get every-other call. When inside my place, I am lucky to get 1/3 of any calls.

Moreover, I had to connect google voice for my voicemail so I would at least give people the option of leaving me a message. Leaving things as they were with cricket's voicemail system, people would complain they would not be able to connect and their call would drop.

I have been on the line multiple times with Cricket and been into the store I bought it from. I have received a mix of the usual "reseller vs carrier" bs, and outsourced customer service members telling me everything from i need a new sim card, to the fact that there appears to be "a building between you and the cell tower that is interfering with your connection".

I would normally drop any carrier immediately. However, soon after activating their service, I took Cricket up on their offer of a discounted Samsung Galaxy s6. After confirming with their agent (the "building is in your way" one) that I could not get a decent signal, and inquiring about what I could do about it - I was informed there is a minimum (6 months?) time period before Cricket will allow any devices to be unlocked and freed for use with other carriers.

Their solution? go to the reseller. So I did. The reseller's solution? It's not their problem...

Last edited:
Umm interesting. Don't know what else to say. I do miss the odd call here and there, but I have had that happen to me on the other carriers too, so I never made a big deal out if it. But you case is definitely stumping. Other then making sure you device is set to Roam on their carriers, don't know what else you could do.

What carrier did you have previous, did you switch because of reception issues or price ??

When you leave your home area, does the device work properly ??

I would also check TMO, and try one of their devices and with them you have the buyers remorse, and see if service it better for you around your home. Also do have have a spare phone, that is unlocked, that you can test with their service ??

Going to the reseller stores is not always the solution, because usually it is the same owner that own the 3 stores. Try contacting Cricket as mentioned before by others online and see where that takes you.

Hope this gets better for you, keep us posted on your ventured issue.

Upvote 0
Umm interesting. Don't know what else to say. I do miss the odd call here and there, but I have had that happen to me on the other carriers too, so I never made a big deal out if it. But you case is definitely stumping. Other then making sure you device is set to Roam on their carriers, don't know what else you could do.

What carrier did you have previous, did you switch because of reception issues or price ??

When you leave your home area, does the device work properly ??

I would also check TMO, and try one of their devices and with them you have the buyers remorse, and see if service it better for you around your home. Also do have have a spare phone, that is unlocked, that you can test with their service ??

Going to the reseller stores is not always the solution, because usually it is the same owner that own the 3 stores. Try contacting Cricket as mentioned before by others online and see where that takes you.

Hope this gets better for you, keep us posted on your ventured issue.

Thanks @DonB for your support and thoughts.

I changed jobs and had to ditch my company plan. So, my switch wasn't really about me moving away from another carrier. Cricket just had a plan that suited me and lead me to expect I would enjoy adequate coverage.

My device works just fine when I am out and about.

I have indeed tried it on another (unlocked) device, and the issues remain with both signal and not connecting calls.

I'll keep trying, but hard to get past the "it's their issue, not ours". I think Cricket needs to do a better job of policing people representing them, even if it is a reseller. Moreover, they need to show real coverage on the tools they provide for new potential users to check. If they can tell me over the phone that there is something blocking my signal, then it should show up on their coverage map tool so I can know that BEFORE buying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones