• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Poor reception indoors

Hey guys,

I have had my first android phone, HTC Amaze 4G (Telus) for about a month now and absolutely love it... with one big exception. When I am indoors, I get horrible cell reception. Specifically, for data/web pages. When I am in my room, I can not even load a web page, where my old iphone 3g or any of my friends' phones (iphone 4, iphone 4s, samsung galaxy s) (all same network) have no issues.

Telus sent me a replacement but it isn't any better. And it isn't just at home, when I am at work in the lunch room, I have the same issues. And we have a Telus tower right in the work yard. Has anyone else experienced these issues? I haven't read about any reception problems with this phone.

I am debating on switching to a Galaxy S2X (the 1.5GHz version, not the 1.2GHz), what are your guys' opinions? I am not a huge fan of the AMOLED screen, or lack of camera button, but I do like how thin it is. Even if the build quality doesn't feel as nice. I have also heard that the battery life is much better, but I bought replacement batteries for my Amaze.

I traded my s2x in for the amaze and very happy that I did. The s2x battery life in my opinion is no better than the amaze and just seems cheaply built to me. It just feels to light to me and feels like it would break easily. I've also noticed much better download speeds with the amaze. The s2x is more powerful than the amaze according to the benchmark tests that I did. I would get around 3500-4000 with the s2x and the amaze was around 2500.

Also this might sound stupid but when you are really close to a cell tower you will get poor reception.

Upvote 0
I traded my s2x in for the amaze and very happy that I did. The s2x battery life in my opinion is no better than the amaze and just seems cheaply built to me. It just feels to light to me and feels like it would break easily. I've also noticed much better download speeds with the amaze. The s2x is more powerful than the amaze according to the benchmark tests that I did. I would get around 3500-4000 with the s2x and the amaze was around 2500.

Also this might sound stupid but when you are really close to a cell tower you will get poor reception.

Was there anything about the S2X that you liked better than the Amaze, apart from the benchmark tests? I think the biggest thing I am worried about is the AMOLED screen, I find it looks too bluish/green.

And the tower is down the hill from me, about a 5 minute drive, but in a clear line of sight. I guess I could also mention that I work on cell towers, doing installs and testing.

It just really bugs me that when I am in my room, I can't use my data, but everyone else phone works fine. I know I can use wifi at home, but I shouldn't have to and if I am in another location with poor reception and no wifi, then I am screwed. And to top it off I am noticing vertical lines on my screen now when it is black or if I am in sunlight.

Upvote 0
I'm on t-mobile and also get poor reception indoors, but only when I'm under a strong wifi signal and i usually just turn off the mobile signal and turn on wifi.

I also see the vertical lines you mentioned when my screen is off, I think it has to do with the touch screen mechanism or proximity sensors. Im really not sure but it seems pretty normal to me.

Upvote 0
I'm on t-mobile and also get poor reception indoors, but only when I'm under a strong wifi signal and i usually just turn off the mobile signal and turn on wifi.

I also see the vertical lines you mentioned when my screen is off, I think it has to do with the touch screen mechanism or proximity sensors. Im really not sure but it seems pretty normal to me.

I just find it weird how this phone can't get reception when all the other phones I have tried have absolutely no issues. Sigh... Don't know if I should live with it, try another amaze, or give the galaxy s2x a shot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones