• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help poor reception

vini_i

Lurker
Nov 13, 2013
i think i feel the same way as everyone else that ICS ruined this phone.

so i did something about it. i installed cyanogen mod 10. i used twrp 2.5 and loaded a rom i found and google apps. best thing i ever did. this mod is based on jelly bean and it brought my phone back to being snappy gain.

this has had a few side effects. one is my 4g no longer works but there is no wimax in my area so i don't miss it.

the issue that bothers me is that since the install i haven't see a full five bars. i'm not sure whether i still have the same signal and the rom calculates the strength differently or whether i just have crappy reception. my finace claims that whenever she talks to me she hears everything she said repeated back to her.

i tried finding if there is a radio up date for the phone but no luck.

has anyone had this issue ?

radio 1.11.0
android 4.1.1
kernel 3.0.16
cyanogenMod 10-20120823-unofficial-kingdom

the issue that bothers me is that since the install i haven't see a full five bars. i'm not sure whether i still have the same signal and the rom calculates the strength differently or whether i just have crappy reception.
There's no actual calibration on those things. Two phones that come off the assembly line right after one another could show a different number of bars at the same time in the same spot.

my finace claims that whenever she talks to me she hears everything she said repeated back to her.
That has more to do with something in the telephone company equipment called an "echo suppressor" than with anything else. It could be that your mic is super sensitive and you have the volume turned all the way up, but it's usually a transient effect that varies with location (because you're using different equipment wnen you cnange location).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones