1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Poor Signal Strength and Battery Overheating

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oncesir, May 8, 2011.

1. oncesir

oncesir Newbie
    None

Nov 23, 2010
    Well, after having 2 Opt S phones in a month that have the same exact problem (screen dims then the phone shuts off and can only be restarted with a batt pull) I began looking for some answers. The one variable is that it has only happened at my work where the cell signal is literally dismal. The phone bounces back and forth between no signal and just enough to keep the call. Has this low signal been known to overheat batteries? I searched this forum and read through quite a few battery overheating and low signal strength threads. None of the phones affected were LG Opt's. Has anyone else had a similar issue? TIA

Advertisement

2. Ivy547

Ivy547 Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    ST Monitor
    Connecticut
    My battery will become hot to the touch sometimes, but I haven't figured out what causes it. Maybe the system working harder to get a hold of a sketchy signal? I know by experience Optimus phones are not fans of roaming. Mine downright refuses to do so often, even if I "allow" it. I'm a member on another forum and they posted about this app that will make the phone roam. I downloaded it yesterday but have yet to try it.
    This is the link to the original post, by the app developer Nick7.
    [APP] Roam Control Optimus (NO ROOT REQUIRED) - Android Forums

Good luck!

3. OverBoard

OverBoard Member
    None

May 13, 2011
    If you are in a really weak signal area, try turning off 3G. You can still receive calls and SMS (but not MMS). If the phone is hunting for a weak 3G signal, this can drain the battery fast and make the phone hot.

Try turning it off and report back.