1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Poor sound from the headphone jack?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by w0rd, Apr 11, 2011.

1. w0rd

w0rd Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    FL, USA
    I always thought the sound coming out of the headphone jack was fine until I switched phones with someone and tried an iphone and an htc shift. Both were louder and clearer than my phone when plugged into a car stereo.

We were all using Pandora's high quality stream.

I am running the stripped down stock rom.

Is it the ROM, or the phone's hardware, or some setting I am missing?

Advertisement

2. smankins

smankins Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    I don't know about through a car stereo but there was a lot of noise (hissing) while listening through earphones.

3. ravenas

ravenas Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    I wondered if it was just my cassette-to-phono converter. Music was very blotchy over Amazon MP3 over the weekend. Like an AM radio feed.

FWIW, listening over bluetooth headset was fine. Perhaps an FM converter would work better.

4. maylea

maylea Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2010
    I use my optimus v in the car and it is nice and loud with strong base. Much better sound than my old htc hero. I have mine fed directly through my Alpine head unit using aux in. I am amazed at how good this phone sounds in my car. As for the headphone hiss, all my phones have had this hiss which I believe is caused by the cdma/gsm radio in most phones except maybe the high end media phones. You wont get the hiss using BT headphones. I use an inline volume/noise filter on my wired headphones to remove the hiss. Mine was made by Shure and makes the OV sound great with wired headphones

BTW: I also use my ipod touch in the car and my optimus sounds just as good but is a little quieter but I just turn up the preamp on the head unit with no noticable warp or clipping in the music

5. MrTweaker

MrTweaker Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Remington, MD
    Off-subject but lose Pandora. I've taken it off all my devices because they're been selling our birthdays, location, etc. They're giving enough information away to show who we are and where we are. I'll stick to my on phone music or play a radio app.

6. Rezin

Rezin Member
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    I listen ALL DAY at work on headphones, and it sounds great. Some headphones and earbid do not sound good, but I took the time and got a pair that sounds great!

7. filmbuff

filmbuff Newbie
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    One of the first things I noticed about this phone was the crap audio quality playing through my earbuds. My Zune was MUCH better. I got a significant improvement switching from the stock music player to Winamp, but there is still some static/fuzz in the background. I don't think it's related to the cell antenna because it sounds the same in airplane mode. Phone probably just has a crappy pre-amp.

I should add that the same song playing on the same headphones on my iPad sounds a lot better. Oh well, it's worth it for the convenience of not having to carry two devices.

8. musick

musick Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    CA
    Running stock 'V' here.

I listen either through some Klipsch Image 'buds when listening solo or a small stereo (with decent speakers) via aux jack at work.

Through the buds, the sound is great - deep bass, clear high and no distortion or hiss.

My colleagues and I switch out phones every hour or so (all 3 have iphones) and all 4 sources sound great. This includes mp3s and Pandora.

9. lizm

lizm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Sounds fine via earbuds or my car (also aux in). But I can only compare it to my Droid Incredible, which also sounded fine.

10. FNAKC

FNAKC Newbie
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Courier and Cook
    Oshkosh, WI
    The only thing I noticed with the audio output was going from Pandora to YouTube there was a big drop in output, had to crank the volume even higher.

11. w0rd

w0rd Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    FL, USA
    Think I may have figured it out. My Pandora was stuck on low quality mode. I toggled it back and forth and restarted the app each time, and it sounds good now. :)

Tags: