1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Poor wi-fi after headphone jack/speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kasg, Jan 31, 2014.

1. kasg

kasg Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this. I replaced the headphone jack/speaker assembly on my S3 because of a dodgy headphone socket, which was pretty straightforward, but after replacement I noticed that the wi-fi reception had been severely affected, it now only works when the signal is very strong, right next to the router, whereas previously it worked pretty much anywhere. I can also now rarely get adequate reception at public wi-fi hotspots. I thought the problem might be with the new assembly so I reverted to the original one but it made no difference. I know the wi-fi aerial connection is in the same vicinity but I have checked and it all looks OK and nothing appears to be damaged. Does anyone have any suggestions or experienced anything similar. Do I need a new wi-fi aerial?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    It may look okay to you, but it has to look okay when the case has been fully closed up, and it evidently isn't.

You can fool with it some more, and probably break a few more things in the process, or you can bring it to a good repair shop, tell them what you did (including opening it up a second time to put back the old assembly) and pay them to fix it.

Doing it yourself almost always ends up costing more.

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Think ive read somewhere about wifi degrading because the screws in the back of the casing had worked loose and tightening them fixed it (or was that gps?)
    Can they be tightened anymore without stripping the thread?

4. kasg

kasg Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    That is an extremely unhelpful reply and it is absolute nonsense to suggest that doing it myself is likely to cost more. I have repaired many things over many years and saved a fortune for myself and others.

5. kasg

kasg Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks, I'll check it out but it seems like a long shot.