1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support POP 3 Email Outgoing Server (New to Verizon)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by burban, Mar 21, 2011.

1. burban

burban Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Hey all,

I am new to Verizon from ATT which I have been with for over 15 years until last Thursday. My question is regarding POP 3 email. ATT has a outgoing mail server (CWMX.Com) that I use to set up my account with all my ingcoming mail server information.

Does Verizon have a universal outgoing mail server that a wireless user can use for an outgoing mail server? My DSL outgoing mail server (swbell.net) won't work over ATT or Verizons network so I have no way to send emails and I haven't been able to find a universal outgoing mail server for Verizon.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

2. 20phileagles

20phileagles Newbie
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Incoming. Verizon. Net
    Outgoing. Verizon. Net
    I had a hard time getting that right also.

3. TomXP411

TomXP411 Member
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    20phileagles: If he's pulling his Cox e-mail, the incoming won't be Verizon.net. It's also possible that his outgoing won't work either, if Verizon is validating the return address.

burban: My suggestion would be to start using your gmail account. You created one when you set up your phone for the first time.

Using the gmail.com web site from a computer, set it up to retrieve your mail from Cox via POP3. (You can also add a cox return address, but there's a reason not to - I'll get to that in a moment.)

After that, people can e-mail you on the Cox domain or the gmail domain, but when people hit "reply", it will go straight to gmail. Now, start giving out your gmail address, rather than your Cox one.

Why would you want to do this? I can guarantee you won't have Cox all of your life. By changing to a carrier-independent e-mail address, you won't be hostage to a particular ISP. By doing a soft-change now, you can ease people in to the change, and you'll have a much more stable e-mail address.

Trust me, you'll be doing everyone you know a favor. I've been on the other end of that transaction: my ex-wife is constantly changing e-mail addresses as she switches back and forth from cable to DSL, then moves to a place with a different cable carrier... I basically forced her to get a gmail address so she could use the video chat to talk to her daughter, and it's been a lot easier to keep in touch with her since then.

4. burban

burban Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Tom,

Thanks for the information and you have several valid points. However my real problem lies with the fact that the pop3 email I am trying to set up is tied to my domain name (mycompany) through a hosting site that does not offer a outgoing mail server.

Using my domain providers incoming server and ATT's outgoing server it appeared that I was in my office sending mail to customers. Using a gmail account for my business would not look proffesional?

So what I am looking for is send emails from my Tbolt that look like they are coming from:

me@mycompany.com

It was so simple with ATT.