1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Pop accounts from Cox and exchange email Q's

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Cumbres, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Cumbres

Cumbres Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2010
    I am trying to get my cox.net (pop3) email account working on my phone. I am using the stock DroidX email software. I have been able to get an email sent but never received. I am using the SSL connection. I have the ports correct, password correct, pop and smtp servers correct. I checked for help on the Internet and everything I find says it should work. But it doesn't. Get an unable to receive data message.

Also, I have an exchange email address on the phone. Works great. But, can I have 2 different places for the email messages to be sent. ie under 1 icon my private email, and the other my work email? If I put multiple email links on the desktop they mimic each other and a change I make in 1 is done on the other.

I see some folks have recommended a program called K-9 for other issues with email. Would this solve the problems above? Maybe?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    Maybe. I have my Time Warner Roadrunner email account setup under the stock email app and my msn account setup in K9. I never really was able to get the Roadrunner account running right with K9.

Make sure your ports are correct and you may have to disable password and security login to send email on the outgoing server.

3. Cumbres

Cumbres Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2010
    I tried that. What is really frustrating is that I also set up my wifes phone on a Samsung Fascinate and it was working within a couple of minutes. Same settings (obviously different email address on cox). She doesn't have an exchange email however.

I do find it curious the amount of differences between these 2 droids. Both have the same OS and are new. But each has different settings options in the OS.

4. apavolka

apavolka Android Enthusiast
    None

May 15, 2010
    Plumbing Supply House
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Using cox I ended up using the settings the phone gave me because my standard settings didn't work.

5. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    Wrong on several points. ;)

The X is on Froyo 2.2.1 running Motorola's version of Blur, while the Fascinate is still on Eclair 2.1 running Samsung's TouchWiz. Also, the Fascinate isn't a Droid. The Droid moniker is licensed from Lucas and only applies to certain Android devices on Verizon. The Fascinate isn't one of them.

6. Cumbres

Cumbres Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2010
    I tried to let the phone just do its thing but it failed. It thinks the pop and smtp servers are just "cox.net" but in reality they are "pop.east.cox.net" and similar for smtp. If I just make that change it still won't work.

I don't know if I am causing some of the problem by trying to use the secure authentication rather then the unencrypted.

Thanks!:)

7. Cumbres

Cumbres Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2010
    Not the first time for this to happen to me.:D

This part I didnt know. I came from a blackberry and my wife from a windows mobile phone. Definitely this was a step up for both of us. I was hoping that there would be more similarities between the 2 phones to make my "tech support" spousal duty easier. Guess I didn't plan that out good enough! :) However, she loves her phone and the display. So I won't complain too much.

Thanks!

8. Ron H

Ron H Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 26, 2010
    Have you tried these settings?

Incoming Server:
    pop.west (or east).cox.net
    (your name) before the @cox.net
    your password

Outgoing Server:
    smtp.west (or east).cox.net
    (your name) before the @cox.net
    your password

9. Cumbres

Cumbres Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2010
    Well that was essentially what I have done and failed at. I tried again tonight with similar results.

I also have an option to verify the security certificate if I desire. It didn't matter whether that was checked or not. I also tried it with the standard non-secure connection and it again failed. I get an unable to authenticate error.

My thought was it might be because the email address I am trying to download is not the one given to me by Cox as the master address but is one of the 10 that I can create for myself. Each of these sub addresses have their own password. But I was able to do this with my Blackberry without any of this difficulty.

I have re-verified that the password is correct and it was.

I don't understand why it doesn't work. One other item I have noted is that occasionally in the last 1-2 days the exchange email account has some difficulty in dowloading. No rhyme or reason as to why.

I hope that I can resolve this as this was an easy thing to setup on my Blackberry.

Cumbres

10. Cumbres

Cumbres Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2010
    Well K-9 fixed the problem instantly. Still don't know why the standard email program didn't work. But guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks to all that responded.