1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Pop email settings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Policelot, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Policelot

Policelot Lurker

I'm having problems setting up multipal emails across multipal devices so I'm hoping someone can help. I have just upgraded from an iPhone 5 to a note 4. I previously had my all my personal and work email set up on my phone, iPad, MacBook and window Pc on outlook and all working fine.

My problem is my not just keeps giving me errors and I can't see what the problem is at all.

Any advice would really help and also stop me dropping the phone off the 10th floor of a multi story car park at lunchtime :)

I even took it into the car phone warhorse geek and he couldn't do it.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Policelot

Policelot Lurker

P.s. My network is EE and my emails are through my Heart Interned reseller package plus an old personal freeserve account

3. My 2nd post!

I'm no Note 4 expert but without explaining which errors you are receiving I doubt if anyone can help.

I do know that POP3 does not support syncing emails across multiple devices. If you connect to a POP3 server emails are downloaded and removed from the server and will only be available on the device that downloaded them.

IMAP was developed to solve this and is nowadays the more common method of connecting to mail server.

Hope that helps some.

4. Policelot

Policelot Lurker

I keep getting authentication fails

5. xTHExDRIZZLEx

xTHExDRIZZLEx Newbie

Be sure to check your username/password, along with the incoming and outgoing mail server settings. Changing devices isn't going to spontaneously fail , so there must be a typo somewhere. Hope this helps!

6. Authentication failed is either your username or password.

On the Note 4 there are three boxes:- Email address, Username and password. The Note 4 (Android in general) defaults to the "name" part of the email address for the Username.

On all email servers I have ever set up the Username needs to be the email address. Try entering your email address in the first two boxes and your password in the third.

7. Policelot

Policelot Lurker

Thanks for your help, but done all that and no typos and all correct details. I'm wondering if a 3rd party email client would be better, any suggestions ?

8. No sorry I only use the stock email client.

According to the web, Freeserve is only a web based email service. I don't now about Heart Internet but according to their email set up youtube video this should be an IMAP account type. What settings are you using?

9. Policelot

Policelot Lurker

I have tried pop3 as that works fine on my iphone 5, but I have also tried IMAP, im at a loss now and its stressing me out a bit :-(

10. I have had a look at some Freeserve username settings and these seem to vary.

Have you tried,

"If my email address is me@myself.freeserve.co.uk then my username is: myself.freeserve.co.uk"

Also,

"Quaver the only reason I posted that was because my email address is: me@myself.freeserve.co.uk whereas my username given to me when I joined Freeserve is: myself.freeserve.co.uk@fs
    Looking back at the Orange page that I linked to above it seems some people have the @fs at the end of their username but others don't."

Quotes taken from the original forums.

It must be a username or password problem or else you would get a "Could not connect" error message.

The account is still active? If it has not been used for 30 days EE are now purging these old Freeserve accounts.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews