• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pop-up ads: Feedback needed!

Phases

NO LONGER ADMIN
Sep 9, 2008
Nashville, TN
I need know how the pop-up ads are functioning for everyone - from now forward. We're told a fix should be in place now for the excessive displaying.

You will still see the ad. This isn't going to change, I've voiced all I can voice on that - but the fact that it has been showing so, so much is something Rob will (and has) take to the ad agency. They worked on it today and now want to know how things are.

I'm talking about the popup with "This ad is brought to you by Phandroid" at the top that covers the middle of the screen and makes mobile use killer.

It is supposed to show up every so often. But certainly not multiple times a visit/session or every other page load (which was the case for many earlier this week). So, please be on the lookout the next couple days and let reply here if you could and let me know. I'm to report back Sunday night with results.

Thanks!

Well so far I've made it to this thread from home page and no pop up yet. Ill browse around and see how many I get.

Edit 1: Went to my profile, got it... hit the back button, got it... hit refresh and got it for the third time

Edit 2: Well I just used it for about 10 minutes on the broswer on my phone. Got the ad three times in a row as stated above. Now I'll pay attention to how much I get on on the computer.

Upvote 0
I signed with Android 2.2.2 stock browser (something I hardly ever do because of the "This ad is brought to you by Phandroid" popup box) and navigated around to several diffrent pages and didn't see the popup once. As far as browsers on windows 7 goes, IDK because I use a add blocker anyway. To be honest if Phandroid were to get around add blocking programs, I would probably just drop my Premium subscription. I know those adds pay the bills but they tend to tick users off too. (Sorry for the rant Phases and thanks for all you do!)

Upvote 0
Just tested on both my 3D and Galaxy Tab (stock browser on both). On both, I got the "This ad is brought to you..." pop-up when first coming to AF. Then I navigated to multiple sub-forums and individual threads, then back to the homepage, and never saw it again. :)

Hooray! While of course I'd rather not see it at all, this is a HUGE improvement over how it was.

Thank you Phases for all you've done regarding this issue.

Upvote 0
I tend to go a lot of places so I am not sure how many page loads it takes for me but I am seeing it multiple times an hour (8-10). For me it is more of a mild annoyance that I can deal with. I only use the app on my phone now because the ad in question make the site to much of a PITA to deal with in the browser

Upvote 0
When I first logged in (including the one I got before I logged in) I had 4 of the ad that blocks the entire screen. But I have been logged in for over an hour and not another one yet.

I wonder if it's a Cookie issue...

EDIT: Before the end of the night last night I had it appear 10 times. it seems that when you are idle for more that about 10 minutes or so, it refreshes the ad to re appear again 3-5 times every time you click on a link within AF.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones