• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fredba

Lurker
Oct 2, 2011
Has anyone had an experience of a pop up that is asking "Google sign-in"? It continually pops up no matter what I am in. I have been running Lookout and it finds nothing. This seems like a malware but none is found..

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.....

Well, just to ask the question, are you running Go Launcher EX? Did you add the free Go Notification as well? A recent update fixed the ability to badge the GMail icon with the number of unread messages, but it does ask you to log in with your Gmail credentials the first time after you update/install.

If it's not that, do you have any other apps that are connected to Google account credentials?

Incidentally, I don't like this Go notification approach - Go should be using OAuth rather than asking for and storing your Gmail account password.

Upvote 0
Actually had this issue my self. what you need to do is have Google give your phone its own password.

Login to your Google acct from a PC, then from the Account Overview page find Authorizing Applications & Sites, click edit

once you are logged in there you will be able to set up an Application Specific password.

Its not Malware or a virus, it is just Google being overprotective.

Upvote 0
Actually had this issue my self. what you need to do is have Google give your phone its own password.

Login to your Google acct from a PC, then from the Account Overview page find Authorizing Applications & Sites, click edit

once you are logged in there you will be able to set up an Application Specific password.

Its not Malware or a virus, it is just Google being overprotective.

This would be the case if you set up two-step authentication on your Google account. Otherwise you should not need to set an application-specific password on the account. Fredba should know if two step authentication was set up on the account; if so, that would definitely be an explanation.

Upvote 0
This would be the case if you set up two-step authentication on your Google account. Otherwise you should not need to set an application-specific password on the account. Fredba should know if two step authentication was set up on the account; if so, that would definitely be an explanation.

The problem being I and my wife would get those popups all the time as well, and setting that up stopped them.

Cause and effect.

Upvote 0
I have set up no requirement for the second authentication. Never saw a need for it. This is something that started on its on out of the blue. No cause or effect to speak of. And...just to make it even more of a mystery...It has not appeared a single time today.

Welcome to the world of Android!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones