1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Pop-ups

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    I'm starting to get pop-ups on my nexus 7. One that keeps showing up says "check your device for virus." Is this legit, or should I ignore it?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    It's probably an ad rather than a system message. Either from a website you viewed, or from some app you installed.

Don't follow the link - it will try to install some app, but you've no idea what that app really does, only that it's using dodgy methods to try to get you to install it. Instead try to find out what app is causing the pop-ups and uninstall that app to stop them:

* install Addons Detector, Airpush Detector or Lookout Ad Network Detector and scan your phone for anything using "push advertising" or "push notifications". Uninstall any apps using these things. This sort of ad is supposed to be banned from Play Store apps now, but you may still have something using it.

* If that doesn't do it, try disabling apps you've installed recently (up to a couple of weeks before the pop-ups started). Updates may also be suspect (junk can be added in an update). If the pop-ups stop, try re-enabling gradually, see whether you can work out which is responsible.

* If you've installed anything from dodgy download sites (e.g. those that offer "free" versions of apps that you pay for elsewhere) those apps are top of your suspect lists. Sites like that are riddled with malware. Not suggesting you'd do this, just mentioning it to cover all bases.

If the pop-ups occur while using a particular app, or after visiting a particular website, then it's likely they are ads associated with that app or website, but I'm working on the assumption that they are occurring at random times.