• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

POP3 E-Mail Notification Icon App?

Well JD, I have a Galaxy S4 and my wife has a Galaxy Note 2 and the stock email app on both phones place an icon in the notification bar when an POP email comes in. I no longer use the stock app, but I know for certain that the stock app did provide the icon. One thing that I remember about the stock app, is that Notification were handled in the account set up of the email app, not the general set up. You may want to look there to see if the notifications are turned on. Of course, you stock app may be different than mine, but I wouldn't think so. If you get no love there, I can recommend Aquamail. It is the latest app that I have tried and I like it better than any I've tried. It does what you want. You may also want to try K-9 Mail, which also displays an icon when mail arrives. I would really be shocked it you stock app didn't do the icon thing. I don't know that I have ever seen one that didn't do that.

Upvote 0
I am not sure what you want that the stock email app isn't doing.

The stock email app puts a notification icon there if you get an email on any account you have enrolled. If you want real time notifications, you have to make sure than the domain server supports push notifications, or set your account settings to activesync if that is supported.

The default email app will put notifications there and do what you ask. The only catch being it will only pit notifications there after it polls and checks for Email and it finds new ones. If you set it to check for email every 4 hours, of course it can't notify you in real time.

In other words, all email apps, including the stock app, is capable of what you are asking for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones