• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Popup SMS not sending in the background

Tattycakes

Dec 28, 2011
UK
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with SMS apps that feature a pop-up window when you get a new message.

The popup window comes up over whatever app you're on, shows you the message in the window, and allows you to reply directly underneath, then when you click send it goes away. Saves you having to switch into the full SMS app when you get the message and then back to what you were doing beforehand.

However, I find that none of these messages ever actually send, if I open up the app they're sitting there sending...sending...sending...

If I send an SMS from the full app itself it sends straight away, even if the previous popup-based SMS is still sending. Sometimes the previous one will send once the app is open, sometimes it has to be manually forced to re-send with the full app open.

I originally had the problem with GO SMS so now I've tried Handcent and it's doing exactly the same thing...

Of course, I could just not use the pop-up feature but isn't that the point of an app, to give you these convenient features that don't come with the stock apps?

My handset is HTC Sensation XE on 4.0.3 and I'm using Nova launcher.

OP, +1 for including your phone model and OS version in your post (the only better way would be in your profile to save you the trouble to begin with).

I notice that all the apps you've listed are full SMS apps. Have you tried using a pop-up only, and have that augment the stock app to see if you net the same result?

Reactions: Tattycakes
Upvote 0
Hi Ryan, thanks for the reply.

I've now found that Handcent is working okay and sending the popup message in the background like it should do, not sure what was causing the delay originally but I won't be going back to GO SMS, even if it does have pretty skins.

If it has the problem again I'll try your pop-up only suggestion and let you know how it went!

Upvote 0
It turns out that Handcent is now having exactly the same problem, the pop-up messages don't send properly and the message just sits there with the rotating circle waiting to send. I've just rebooted my phone and a message from 5.20pm yesterday has just sent itself now (it's 11.26am).

I'm going to try the standalone 'SMS Popup' app and see if the same thing happens, if it does then I'll probably just go back to GO SMS but disable the popup entirely as it's not worth this hassle for that one feature.

If anyone else ever gets this problem and finds the root cause, or the solution, I'd love to know what they found!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones