• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Port number or new?

G

godlovingman

Should I port my number or get a new one? I thought about keeping my postpaid plan at least another month to make sure I'll like and have the same coverage I have now with total by Verizon. I got my a53 so wanted to ask others opinions I'm thinking about just porting my number since they use same towers as my postpaid Verizon account I have now.

it shuts off the postpaid account
Yes, it does. But you've said before that you pay ~$100/month for like 400 minutes or something - for the same ~$100 you could get unlimited everything with added perks/bundles. Not honestly sure what the hesitation is. My plan is super old and if I lost that it would suck a lot, is yours offering something a newer plan wouldn't?

edit

I get the concern but honestly, just port it to Total and save yourself a boatload of money. It's, imo, the right choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Yes, it does. But you've said before that you pay ~$100/month for like 400 minutes or something - for the same ~$100 you could get unlimited everything with added perks/bundles. Not honestly sure what the hesitation is. My plan is super old and if I lost that it would suck a lot, is yours offering something a newer plan wouldn't?
I just over think everything I'm in the process of trying to port number now.

Upvote 0
Does porting happen anytime or just during business hours? I work nights wondering if there's a chance it may complete while I'm at work.
I think it happens anytime but I'm not sure what is actually happening behind the scenes. I'm just making an educated guess that it is similar to DNS, in that when someone dials you number (enter's a website address) there are certain repositories that route the call to your device (routes the traffic to a web server ip address).

Upvote 0
I think it happens anytime but I'm not sure what is actually happening behind the scenes. I'm just making an educated guess that it is similar to DNS, in that when someone dials you number (enter's a website address) there are certain repositories that route the call to your device (routes the traffic to a web server ip address).
Only reason I ask is I need a phone so I don't know which phone to carry to work with me.

Upvote 0
Are you stuck with your old phone for now? Or are you stuck without a phone?
Stuck with old phone for now this is what it says on total by Verizon website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230222-225150.png
    Screenshot_20230222-225150.png
    428.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
There is one option: You could temporally activate your new phone with another line. The Utlra Mobile PayGo plan is good for that, it's a cheap option for phones that aren't used much.

Unless you're in a rush to use your new phone: You might not want to bother with that, unless you'd like a second line anyway. But since you're moving on to a new phone: You might want to get a second line for your old phone anyway, so that you can use your old phone as a backup phone. After your number's ported to your new phone, you can transfer your PayGo SIM card from your new phone to your old phone (assuming the phones are not carrier-locked).

Upvote 0
I'm not in a huge rush my old phone still works I'm just frustrated I stayer up all day waiting on the phone to be delivered then after I finally get it I can't activate and use it without wifi. I work nights and worked last night and work all night tonight with maybe 2 hours of sleep waiting for and trying to get new phone activated and working properly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones