• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Portable apps on an android

pengyou

Feb 17, 2011
North Dakota
There are portable apps that will run on a thumb drive with any kind of OS - Windows, Linux, iOS. Is there a portable app that will run on android? I would love to install a portable version of Firefox and a password vault on the mini-sd card in my phone. I know I could just try to install it, but I am afraid that failure might not be an indication that it is not possible :(

Perhaps I misunderstand your intent, here, but Firefox makes a mobile app for Android; and LastPass is a great password manager that syncs to all platforms. I suppose you could install them from, and save to, external storage: that being an installed microSD card. Keeping apps and the password vault on a jump drive seems like an unnecessary risk: loss or damage of the jump drive renders the apps inoperable. If you are concerned about prying eyes, you could always encrypt the card & its contents.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
There are portable apps that will run on a thumb drive with any kind of OS - Windows, Linux, iOS. Is there a portable app that will run on android? I would love to install a portable version of Firefox and a password vault on the mini-sd card in my phone. I know I could just try to install it, but I am afraid that failure might not be an indication that it is not possible :(

I presume you're referring to this?
https://portableapps.com/

That will only run on a Windows PC, and NOT Linux, MacOS, iOS, etc. I did try it myself for a while, but gave up because of viruses and worms on the school Windows PCs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones