1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Portable Battery Charger -- Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EWyatt, Nov 11, 2014.

1. EWyatt

EWyatt Newbie
    None

Apr 15, 2014
    My Galaxy S5's battery is a 2800 mAh, 3.8 volt type, according to included specs.

Newbie questions: what kind of portable battery charger is required? I've seen battery chargers range from 1100 mAh to 12,000 mAh at various voltage outputs. Can I use a portable charger that provides WAY over 2800 mAh (such as 6000 -- 10000 mAh) and has a 5 volt output? Or do I need a charger that provides ONLY 2800mAh at only 3.85 volts? Maybe I'm over-thinking this and any smartphone charger would do. Help.

Basically, what do I need to know about portable battery chargers...? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    The voltage needs to be accurate. But you can get something with much higher mAh rating (and a higher output current - Amps).
    • A higher mAh battery will just be able to charge your battery more times (or for longer), and won't damage your battery.
    • Higher Amps will allow your phone to charge faster (phone will draw only the current that it can safely handle. Lower Amps will allow your phone to charge, but slower)
    • Wrong voltage however is a bad idea - check the voltage rating on your OEM charger. I suspect it will be 5v output. The 3.8v you see on your batter is what your battery will output to the phone when in use

3. EWyatt

EWyatt Newbie
    None

Apr 15, 2014
    Great reply jj..., thanks.

My OEM wall charger is rated at 5.2 volts, 2A. But as you wrote, the 3.8 volt battery spec is the battery output. And..... apparently the portable charger's mAh and higher output current are mostly inconsequential.

Now I know what to get, and learned something in the process.
    Regards....

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands

Nearly all cellphones accept a nominal 5.0 to 5.5 volt input.

The phone's internal charger regulator chip is what determines the charging voltage and usually the maximum charging current. That is, up to the limit of what the source can provide.

If the source is a puny 0.5 amp output, then the phone's battery will just barely get a trickle charge assuming that 0.5 amp is provided at 5.2 volts approximately.

Consider car chargers. They have a source capable of hundreds of amps, but the plug in charger adapter will limit that to about 2 amps or so. Again, it will be regulated down in voltage to about 5.2 volts.

.... hope this helps a bit.

one more thought....

ie, I am looking right now at a charger module on my desk, it states "Output 5 volts ~ 1 Amp". Using this on my S5 just about doubles the required charging time because the initial charge rate can be no more than 1 amp. However, the S5 charging rate backs off after a few minutes to prevent overheating the battery. So, instead of double the normal 90 minute charge time for the OEM 2.2 amp charger, it takes about 120-140 minutes to charge the phone. Depends on how discharged the S5 is.

EWyatt likes this.
  5. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Not really... :)
    in fact, those are two critical parameters that distinguish a good charger from an average one.

You want a portable battery to be able to charge your battery up a few times (if you are unable to get to a power outlet for a day or two), so higher mAh is important

Also, you want your phone to charge up quickly, so a sufficient current rating is important (if you phone can charge at 1.5Amps, your phone will charge very slowly if your portable charger can only output 750mA)

6. EWyatt

EWyatt Newbie
    None

Apr 15, 2014
    Ooooops, I should have clarified. But you're correct, in terms of the importance of charging rate handled by current and the mAh numbers. My lame comment was only about voltage input importance. Thnx...

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.