1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Portable battery power

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gripweed, Jan 4, 2012.

1. gripweed

gripweed Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2010

Advertisement

2. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    It looks cheap. If I were you, I would spend a few more bucks on one that is better in quality and has a larger capacity. That one there will basically charge your GN one time fully, and then it's dead and needs a recharge.

I recently purchased a 9900mAh New Trent on sale at Amazon for $42. This device can charge two devices at once, and essentially can charge the GN up to full charge about 5 times before needing a recharge itself.

3. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Missouri
    Wouldn't it be easier to just carry around a spare battery? That's what I do and if my phone gets low on juice I just switch out to the charged battery in my pocket. No waiting for a separate device to charge the phone.

4. val88

val88 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Do you know how much power it outputs? How long would it take to charge up your phone from 0?

If I was to play an HD video on the GN or tablet with this plugged in will they gradually lose power or will either charge up?

I've had some good portable power packs and some not so good ones and I'm in the market for a new one with dual usb ports. Was looking at the smaller sized 7000mah version.

5. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Since that 7000mAh version has dual USB ports, it should be like mine: (1) 5V/1A and (1) 5V/2A. The 1A is supposed to be for phones, where as the 2A port is for tablets and the like.

I haven't measured the time it takes to charge my phone to 100%. Since nearly all phone chargers that come with the phone are rated at 1A, it should then take about the same amount of time.

The phone should continue to charge up fully while watching a movie. However, it's likely to take longer and use more of the external pack's juice up as well. The pack has some "smart" circuitry in it. It doesn't turn itself off until your device is charged to 100%; at that point, the pack turns itself off. It will also turn itself off if it detects nothing is plugged into it.

As for an extended battery, the reason I bought this is because I hadn't fully decided on whether to get the GN or Rezound. I did know that I didn't want to go the extended battery route should I get the Rezound due to the thickness. I have an ext. battery on my DI and swapped it out for the standard one a few months back; and totally forget how thin my phone used to be. So I wanted to maintain a thin profile on my next device, hence the external battery pack. I ordered my GN today and actually ordered an external battery a few weeks ago, since they were half off.

6. val88

val88 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Good info. Thanks. Perfect for my requirements.

Tags: