• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

calpis

Lurker
Dec 29, 2011
Hello everyone,

I would like to know, if it is possible to connect a portable hdd and an cardreader at the same time and transfering data from one to each other? The device is an Iconia a500 with honeycomb 3.2.
Thanks for your help with kind regards calpis.

If you have all the newest updates you should have no problem transfering between the usb port to the MicroSD. But if you are at 3.2 why not connect to your PC and do the transfers. 3.2 recognizes the external HDD even if it's NTSF files. But you need a good file manager either way. I have found that as a stock tablet it can be finnicy when it comes to internal file transfers.

Reactions: calpis
Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I would like to know, if it is possible to connect a portable hdd and a cardreader at the same time and transfering data from one to each other?

I have connected two usb devices at the same time, BUT I had to use a POWERED usb hub and it was just a HDD and a keyboard. A non-powered targus adapter didn't work

I'm just not sure how the OS will handle two usb storage devices at the same time. When I get a chance I'll try it out.

Reactions: calpis
Upvote 0
I allready connected two usb storages at once but the OS recognizes just one at the time. I was hoping for an app or a way to give the hdd a different name that makes it differentiable for the OS. I want to backup raw files from my camera to an portable hdd. If i have to drop the raw files to the external sd card first and then to the hdd it takes ages.
Thanks for all responses,

Calpis.

Upvote 0
I wonder if you could get an adapter for the micro USB and then plug one device into the micro port and the other into the regular port?

Nope.
Just for something to do I tried out the tip here How To Add a USB Keyboard to an Android Phone — Mobile Technology News to trick the micro USB into acting as a host.I made up the adapter but it doesn't work. The A500 doesn't supply power through the micro USB and even with an external power supply I couldn't even get a keyboard to work.
A powered USB hub is definitely the way to go.

And even if you could get the micro USB working it doesn't solve the problem of the OS not being able to handle 2 devices mounted as USB_storage.

But if you want to risk $12.99 and try for yourself, this USB on-the go adapter is easier than making your own
http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Host-Cable-accommodating/dp/B005GGBYJ4

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones