• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Porting Help/Problems

ScarletRooter

Mar 14, 2015
Okay so I thought I'd take the liberty into looking somewhere to help port a few ROMS and all! I wanted to start off with Blisspop, since it's personally my favorite aside from CM due to vast USER customization features!

Mind you, I'm not exactly a developer, I mess with basic codes and do stupid random things in windows batch files and stuff, but I'm not entirely familiar with the linux system.
It all seemed a bit complicated, which it really is! Anywho I used this tool to help me! I got a few errors, but I eventually figured out it was because the base ROM, Our CM12.1 ROM, used a "system.new.dat" a compressed archive in which the tool wouldn't extract. So I downloaded an extractor tool and was able to extract and copy the files to the system of the base ROM! I used a Blisspop 4.1 Running Android 5.1.1 For the LG Volt (LS770)

I started the compiler batch script and after about 5 minutes, and a few build.prop edits that were prompted, I got a BlisspopROM.zip in the output! I thought
"Cool!" and transferred it to my SD card to flash onto my LG Stylo; originally MetroPCS, but has Tmobile firmware flashed over.

I reboot to TWRP, do a factory reset, and then proceed to install the zip file, only to get an error

------
Installing 'FilePath/BlahBlah'...
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found
E: Error executing updater binary in zip 'filepath'
Error flashing zip 'filepath'
Updating partition details...
...done
------

After I got this error I started to mess around and see if I could fix it with the basics. I tried opening up the updater-binary in Notepad++, but it only shows a bunch of jibberish and very few understandable variables and a few functions I believe

Could someone shed some light on what I might be doing wrong?

I've made an assumption and just thought it was because the original updater binary (BASE CM12.1 ROM) was for installing "system.new.dat" and not directly copying the files over. Since the blisspop ROM I used as my port didn't use the .dat compress archive, it had everything in "Blisspop.zip/system"; where you could find all the system files (Apps, framework, etc, etc) The CM12.1 ROM that I used only had build.prop in the system. Is there a way to bypass this error? or fix it? If you need the PORTED ROM then please send me a private message and I will link you to the "BlisspopPort.zip" in my gdrive! Thanks in advance!

I
You're never going to be able to read or edit the updater binary, it's machine language for TWRP to read, the middle man between the updater script and the recovery. As far as what's preventing you from flashing it, I really don't know.

Blast, however I saw a forum for the 1+ and it said to advanced wipe system and data and then reboot and the error would be gone, do you think this method would work for our phones?

Upvote 0
Well I was able to get it to boot past the LG logo, I used the CM12.1 build.prop without any modifications and it bootlooped! I think the problem was with the build.prop edits that the script made! As of now I'm stuck! I'm happy I got it passed the LG boot screen and to the Blisspop boot animation (a little small for the screen, but expected). However I don't know much about the build.prop relating to bootup. I don't want to give up but until I have further knowledge of how to fix this I won't be able to do much other than messing around with the build.prop a bit

Upvote 0
Hope you succeed! I love BlissPop! It would be amazing on this phone. Hands down most customizable Rom out there.
It is one of my favorites for that exact reason too, but I haven't been having much luck making a flashable port yet. All I can do to port for now is move the files overs in TWRP. And even then I bootloop. Indeed blisspop is a great ROM to have, it would be nice to see some actual devs work on it :)

Reactions: CYCONUMNUM
Upvote 0
If your still trying to port a rom good luck. this phone really needs at least one good MM rom. I tried to port a rom but realized Mac os10 or Linux with memory of 500 gigs is what I need .(Downloading the source is my issue).I tried on virtual box but my CPU doesnt have enough space. Again thanks for your work...

I went back to my zte zmax ..the zmax community has so many ROMs. I'm running brokenOS v4.8 MM 6.0.1. We also have permanent R/W access like the stylo now without using zips or apps. I now google the android forums before I purchase any android device to see how active the devices community is..

It would be nice if we had more devs, because this phone has an unlocked bootloader so it'd be easy to do I'd think. Oh well. At least I'm getting closer with CM 12.1 video recording.

Reactions: mrrom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones