1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Porting land line/two numbers to one cell phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rrrracer, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Rrrracer

Rrrracer Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Imagineer
    Indy
    Hey all, hoping the collective can help me out here.

I have a land line at my business with Comcast, but I hardly use it for anything other than as an answering machine, and they charge quite a bit for it. However, I've had this number for over 10 years and don't want to change it.

What I would like to do is port my land line number to Verizon (who my cell service is with), and have the calls that come from that line go immediately to voice mail.

I think the solution would be to add a line to my Verizon account, port the land line number to it. Then import that number to my Google Voice account, and have it forward any calls to my existing cell phone. Does that sound right?

I don't want to have to carry around two cell phones, would just like to get my land line calls to voicemail and have everything on one phone.

Ideas? Suggestions? TIA!

Advertisement

2. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Sounds like the best option. Just make sure you can cancel that extra line without incurring an ETF. I'm actually considering the same for our landline but instead of adding a line to our postpaid contract, I was thinking of porting it to first prepaid and then to Google Voice.

3. Rrrracer

Rrrracer Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Imagineer
    Indy
    Not terribly familiar with GV.. so once I port the land line to Verizon, and then to GV, I can cancel the Verizon line and calls will still come through Google Voice? Is that how it works?

4. jpainter01

jpainter01 Lurker
    None

May 22, 2011
    One thing to remember . . . Google Voice will not port all cell numbers. Before making plans to use Google Voice as a solution, enter the number you wish to port into their system and see if it will accept it. There are some areas (combination of area code and prefix) that they will not accept.

VERY FRUSTRATING.