• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Porting phone number when changing from Alltel to Verizon

Teegunn

Android Expert
Apr 7, 2010
I am dumping Alltel (I live in MT where Verizon and Alltel are separate) the day the Incredible is available out here. My question deals with the process I need to go through to keep my current phone number (I've had it for 7 years and use it for business). What exactly do I need to do? Do I need to cancel my Alltel contract first? Note: this will mean paying the ETF fee associated with my Alltel contract since I am over a year away from my 2 year contract running out. If anyone can shed a light on what I need to do to keep my phone number when changing providers like this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

I don't think they are actually separate. Even though there are alltel stores, I'm pretty sure they are still owned by verizon and when you "switch" you can easily keep your number.

I'd go to or call verizon and talk to an associate there. Luckily, verizon has a MUCH shorter waiting period. I've waited hours to get an upgrade at alltel since they always had 2 people max there (this is in a huge area. verizon always has about 15 employees).

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that alltel customers who have alltel phones can end their contracts without incurring ANY penalties. Maybe it's not common knowledge, but that's what a rep told me. I have a samsung delve and they can't change my plan for some reason with that phone, so they told me I could just get out of my contract.

Also a week ago they set my NE2 bar all the way full or whatever, even though I've only had the phone 8 or 9 months.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that alltel customers who have alltel phones can end their contracts without incurring ANY penalties. Maybe it's not common knowledge, but that's what a rep told me. I have a samsung delve and they can't change my plan for some reason with that phone, so they told me I could just get out of my contract.

Also a week ago they set my NE2 bar all the way full or whatever, even though I've only had the phone 8 or 9 months.

I'm a former Alltel sub and I got the same NE2 bump last week on my two lines with smartphones. Glad to see that it isn't a glitch, or perhaps it is a widespread glitch. :p

Since VZW is honoring the Alltel contracts, there is no way out other than paying an ETF.

Also, VZW will not make you change from an Alltel plan to a VZW plan even if you buy a new VZW branded phone. There are pages of responses about this in the VZW forum on Crackberry and the consensus is that you can have a VZW phone on an Alltel plan. Unscrupulous store reps may try to bs you into changing plans so that they get a cut, but it is not required.

I've got a really good family share plan + 12 my circle numbers and I will not give it up without a real fight.

The rule of thumb is that you can have an Alltel phone on a grandfathered Alltel plan and you can have a VZW phone on a grandfthered Alltel plan, but you can not have an Alltel phone on a VZW plan. If you want a VZW plan, you need a VZW phone.

Upvote 0
That would be awesome if there were no ETF involved - especially since I have two lines. My understanding is that in areas where AT&T is supposed to be buying the Alltel service, that I could NOT just switch over to Verizon, or I woud have done that a while back and gotten the moto droid. To be honest, I have not actually gone into the Verizon store to check, although one of their employee's is a former employee of mine and when I asked him he had no idea. I want out of my Alltel contract so bad I am willing to pay $400 in ETF and the extra $200 for the Incredible when it comes out. Thats $600 I was planning on eating to get to a carrier that had decent phones. Alltel has their top phones running 3 year old technology. Sucks.

If anyone has anymore clarification on what I may need to do, by all means chime in. Thanks for the help so far.

Upvote 0
That would be awesome if there were no ETF involved - especially since I have two lines. My understanding is that in areas where AT&T is supposed to be buying the Alltel service, that I could NOT just switch over to Verizon, or I woud have done that a while back and gotten the moto droid. To be honest, I have not actually gone into the Verizon store to check, although one of their employee's is a former employee of mine and when I asked him he had no idea. I want out of my Alltel contract so bad I am willing to pay $400 in ETF and the extra $200 for the Incredible when it comes out. Thats $600 I was planning on eating to get to a carrier that had decent phones. Alltel has their top phones running 3 year old technology. Sucks.

If anyone has anymore clarification on what I may need to do, by all means chime in. Thanks for the help so far.

First of all, find out if you're an Alltel customer that's been converted to Verizon. If your bill says Verizon Wireless, you've been converted. There are some Alltel customers that haven't been converted. Some are going to be converted to AT&T, some are going to remain individual little regional pockets of Alltel (don't ask me how or why, that's what I was told during what little Alltel training I received).

If you are a converted Alltel customer, it's easy. You most likely are eligible for a new phone, whether by time elapsed in your contract or due to promotions (trust me on this one, VZW is doing their best to get legacy Alltel hardware out of the system so they won't have to support it). Just upgrade your phone, the new contract is a VZW contract, and it will just go into effect overriding (in essence) the Alltel contract. You won't have to pay an ETF, or port your number. If you're a converted Alltel customer with legacy hardware, and you're not eligible, call into customer service (*611, option 4, then say customer service) and you can most likely get some sort of help in getting the phone.

If you are not a converted Alltel customer, then you're going to have to do it the hard way, port your number to VZW when you purchase the phone, and the port process will automatically disconnect your service with Alltel. You will need all of your Alltel account information with you when you port/purchase. By the way, this also applies to anyone else porting from another carrier to VZW to get the Incredible.

Upvote 0
First of all, find out if you're an Alltel customer that's been converted to Verizon. If your bill says Verizon Wireless, you've been converted. There are some Alltel customers that haven't been converted. Some are going to be converted to AT&T, some are going to remain individual little regional pockets of Alltel (don't ask me how or why, that's what I was told during what little Alltel training I received).

If you are a converted Alltel customer, it's easy. You most likely are eligible for a new phone, whether by time elapsed in your contract or due to promotions (trust me on this one, VZW is doing their best to get legacy Alltel hardware out of the system so they won't have to support it). Just upgrade your phone, the new contract is a VZW contract, and it will just go into effect overriding (in essence) the Alltel contract. You won't have to pay an ETF, or port your number. If you're a converted Alltel customer with legacy hardware, and you're not eligible, call into customer service (*611, option 4, then say customer service) and you can most likely get some sort of help in getting the phone.

If you are not a converted Alltel customer, then you're going to have to do it the hard way, port your number to VZW when you purchase the phone, and the port process will automatically disconnect your service with Alltel. You will need all of your Alltel account information with you when you port/purchase. By the way, this also applies to anyone else porting from another carrier to VZW to get the Incredible.

That makes sense. I am unfortunately in an area of Alltel that will be bought by AT&T. So I assume I will have to pay the ETF $'s yet. But if all I have to do is to have Verizon port the number, then my Alltel acct is auto-cancelled, that would be very easy.

Upvote 0
That makes sense. I am unfortunately in an area of Alltel that will be bought by AT&T. So I assume I will have to pay the ETF $'s yet. But if all I have to do is to have Verizon port the number, then my Alltel acct is auto-cancelled, that would be very easy.

Yep, you'll get a final bill from Alltel with your $200 etfs. What you'll need to do the port/purchase is your account number, security info, etc.. The process is pretty much automated.

Upvote 0
Right but they told me specifically and in no uncertain terms that there would be no ETF to get out of the contract due to wanting to change plans.

When I read your post, it didn't occur to me that you were going to roll from an Alltel contract to a VZW contract. While I don't see what is in it for VZW to get you into a new phone and contract when they bought your account and contract in the Alltel deal, I think that it is cool that you have their word that it is going to happen. Good luck, I hope they come though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones