1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Portrait lens advice for Canon 450D

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Melba Eulalia, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Melba Eulalia

Melba Eulalia New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Hai

I have a Canon EOS 450d DSLR and am wanting to take great pictures of my kids. I am in awe of that great speckled effect - bokeh!
    Can someone tell me what kind of lens I would need for this and how much it costs? I have heard something about a 1.4 USM lens - could I use this, or is this type of lens just for professionals, or is it easy to use?
    Thanks!!

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I've moved your post to a more appropriate forum, on the off-chance you're actually interested in a reply. ;)

The 50mm f1.4 USM you mention is a lovely short portrait lens on the APS-C sensor, equivalent in FOV to an 80mm lens on a full-frame body. It's sharp as a tack even fully open, and the 'bokeh' is to die for! It's as easy to use as any other USM lens; autofocusing is fast and precise. Current price here in the UK is around

3. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    I second the recommendation of the 50/1.4. They only cost like $300. Or try the 1.8 50 at $80-$120 street price.

4. aiz4andy

aiz4andy Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Don't have my DSLR anymore, but my lens of choice for family pics was my Sigma 20-40 2.8. I think its a bit of a rare one, but is a good wide angle lens to get more into the picture for portraits - but great for architectural and landscape shots too.

Downside is its size and you will need and external flash for close ups otherwise you are dealing with shadows.

I bought mine second hand for

5. mbell75

Jan 16, 2010
    SoCal
    I do this for a living so I can help I think. As mentioned, the 50 f/1.4 is a solid choice and I prefer primes. However, will you be trying to capture kids in a moment running around/playing or will they be standing still? if you are shooting kids and trying to capture a moment, you will most likely want a zoom. My favorite zoom for portraits is the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. It rivals Canon's L glass in sharpness, IQ and bokeh and having a constant f2.8 in a zoom is very nice. Excellent lens on a camera like the Rebel. Only slight downside is the AF is not super fast, but its not a deal breaker IMO. You can rent lenses really cheap from places like rentglass.com and try em out before you buy.

Tamron - 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Autofocus Lens for Can - AF09C700 -