1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General POSITIVE reviews of the 4.3 update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by funkylogik, Jan 11, 2014.

1. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    So i cant comment because i stopped using samsung's OS a while ago but im sick of seeing new members come on here and get the impression that samsung's 4.3 update for the s3 is bad.
    Other than the fact that it seems to have made things harder for people who want to wifi tether when their carrier wants to charge them for it, is there anyone here having bugs in the firmware and have you done a factory reset to fix it?
    What ive read from people who have took the update and cleaned their phone up is that its a good update and makes the phone smoother as well as adding new features.
    I just dont want people feeling that they should stay on android 4.1.2 when their phone is more than capable of running 4.4.2 extremely well so i want some positive feedback for samsung's 4.3 :)
    Cheers :beer:

Advertisement

2. Albie999

Albie999 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 1, 2010
    It does seem like a good update to me. Seems smoother and more shiny (the ui just seems more crisp). I also like the transparent notification bar on the home screen

The only issue I have is occasionally, there is a blip when listening to music, but not to noticeable

funkylogik likes this.
  3. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Thanks man.
    What music player are you using mate?

4. Albie999

Albie999 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 1, 2010
    Using the stock Samsung music player, I seem to get on well with that. Tried other like Google music and others, but couldn't gel with them ... probably as used to Samsung player

funkylogik likes this.
  5. svensett

svensett Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Illinois
    Verizon's version, albeit last to the party, seems to be good. I've been running it since it was released to the masses mid December and it seems to manage apps a lot better. I was to the point of using App Cache Cleaner about weekly to minimize the lagginess with 4.2, but 4.3 hasn't shown that need.

No more WiFi "bar" taking up space in the notification drop down. It's in the toggles where it's supposed to be... That in itself was enough to convince me! :D

funkylogik likes this.
  6. KOAM

KOAM Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    Male
    Southern Cali.
    It's improved my battery life significantly to the point where I don't even really worry about it anymore when I used to always be conscious of it.

However, it also made my phone feel like it's responding half a step slower than it used to, even after a factory reset. I'm a little more used to it by now, but it's still something I get annoyed at and resent Samsung seemingly rushing 4.3 just to get Gear compatibility to a lot of phones.

BTW, unrooted stock. Looking into rooting but now with Knox have to keep the warranty in mind.

funkylogik likes this.
  7. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Male
    Arborist (tree man)
    Miami, FL
    I have had 0 issues on the 4.3 update.
    It improved battery life by about 15%, jumped my quadrant score by 150 points, fixed a data connection issue I had, put my toggles in logical places and improved the s voice and google now functionality.

Oh, and I did no factory reset upon update. Though the phone was only used for a day before being updated.

funkylogik likes this.
  8. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    The 4.3 update has worked out pretty well on my S3 (Sprint). Aside from some minor menu changes in 'Settings' and some slight cosmetic improvements I can't really say it made a huge difference for me, at least for the things I need from my phone -- battery life is about the same as when I was on 4.1.2, functionally it's just as stable as before, and all the apps I relied on before still worked fine after the upgrade.
    I've noticed a slight hesitation when I 'wake' my phone with the swipe that wasn't there before but that's just nit-picking. (And using something like PIN when I'm outside the house I can't notice any hesitation.) Looking forward to more development and progress in the KNOX feature that was added with 4.3 since I use my phone a lot in various work situations.

funkylogik likes this.
  9. Revrick52

Revrick52 Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2014
    Reetired and loving it
    Springdale Ark
    Have you tried Rocket player? Really works well for me.

10. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Im a big fan of PowerAmp music player. It was actually the first payed app i bought :) you can increase the audio buffer to stop any jumps/stutters.

Thats a shame that people are noticing lag. Touchwiz rom is known for lag and the more features samsung add, the laggier it gets but 4.3 introduced "trim" which should keep the phone more snappy, especally over time when you add more apps.
    Rooting 4.3 touchwiz has its problems. as KOAM says. I think even the Verizon version can be rooted but as soon as you put any 3rd party firmware on there, your guarantee is supposedly void and you now cant hide the fact that you did it like you could before 4.3.
    Theres some very clever devs making progress with that though and theres a huge cash reward for the person who cracks it :)

P.s, to the people noticing lag and audio stutters, are you using powersave mode?

11. Southernangel3

None

Oct 6, 2011
    I did have a couple of small issues with my phone after upgrade. The worst being that callers could not hear me for a few seconds after I answered. I did a factory reset a couple of days ago and it works great. My battery life is significantly better. I now get 18 hours and that is after playing games, txting, web surfing, and reading a book on my phone.:)

funkylogik likes this.
  12. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    Since upgrading my ROM (custom but stock based) is very close to perfect. I have combined I with a custom kernel and get great battery life and good responsiveness. The UI is much more usable and less confusing than the 4.1.2 version was. Only fly in the ointment is the delay of the screen turning back on after a call is finished - it stays off for around 5-8 seconds. Other than that everything seems very good.

13. jmatherly411

jmatherly411 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 7, 2012
    Male
    The Lawn Star (Owner/Operator)
    Virginia
    I haven't experienced any issues with the 4.3 update, phone is faster and some of the bloatware from the previous version has been removed. Of course now you can put apps on the SD card which is a huge plus in my book. Updated drivers is the reason the display seems more crisp and clear for the user that mentioned it in a few posts above.

mydian likes this.
  14. ScoobyWRX

ScoobyWRX Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2010
    Poole, Dorset
    The only positive thing is I haven't received the update yet on 3UK :-/