1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

"Possible" alternative to note...works on AT&T MediaNet plan

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by colnago, Dec 15, 2011.

1. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    FWIW, T-Mo's website lists the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus as supporting 850/1900 bands however the box only lists 1900. I was able to get 5.9Mbps on speedtest using AT&T Media Net plan. I also have a T-Mo Defy, which supposedly only suports 850, but both devices support 3G in my area.

Some possible issues would be its bump in size, 7" screen, but surprisingly still fits in "some" pants pockets (front and back). Also, the screen is only 1024x600 and possibly more of an issue is that it does not work as a phone out of the box...some SIP client, Skype-like app, or getting the phone.apk to work would be required for calls. I'm using Skype-in (forward calls to Skype #), and Skype-out (masks outgoing calls w/my cell's #)
    for phone service, @ $6/mo. for unlimited calling.

So for the vast minority looking for a "big phone", keeping tthat MediaNet plan, and worried that AT&T has the unlocked version's IMEI, take a look at the Tab 7.0.

Advertisement

2. RockyAndroid

RockyAndroid Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2012
    I purchased an unlocked samsung note on amazon. I have been using Nokia N8 with at&t media net. It works like a charm. I remove the sim card from the n8 and put it in the new samsung note. I am able to make and receive calls. However, I do not have internet and text messaging connectivity. Do I need to get an new sim card? 3G v 4G Can someone help me? Thanks.