1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Possible (as Root) to Replace Stock Phone App?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by creatorbri, Sep 13, 2011.

1. creatorbri

creatorbri Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Now hang on a sec -- I already know how to replace the default Dialer. I've tried several, DialerOne being a common mention. I'm actually partial to TouchPal, though there are several good ones out there.

But that's not what I'm asking.

All of these dialers are real spiffy, until you actually dial a number. Then you're stuck with your device's stock Phone app. What I'm wondering, is if it's possible to actually replace the default Phone application.

I'm sure there are some major security concerns here, perhaps even issues of authenticating on the mobile network? But I'm wondering if any of you homebrew geniuses out there have at least done research in this area, or have an informed opinion on whether it might just eventually be possible to replace the lousy Phone app that comes with the phone, with a more spiffy alternative?

Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 4G
    Current Network: T-Mobile [Mountain West, USA]

Advertisement

2. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Sure you can. You can modify the apk as much as you like, just resign and throw it back onto your phone.

I modified the look of my phone app before.

3. creatorbri

creatorbri Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Are there any custom Phone APKs/mods/themes out there that others are already using?

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    You would likely need to look into specific apk files for your phone depending on your device some may work other's would not because of differences in say resolutions. If you look at pics of roms and find one you like you should be able to extract the phone.apk out and replace your phone.apk file in /system/app then change permissions and reboot and it should work. I would suggest renaming the old phone.apk to phone.apk.old and leaving it so if you run into issues you can restore it without issues.

creatorbri likes this.