• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible fake google app?

notcrazy1

Lurker
Jul 6, 2019
Is my Google app fake or just plain hacked?Has anyone heard of Google search results being aggressive,tell you things that NOONE knows.Pretty much targeting one person.This sounds crazy to me but it's real.Anyone have any ideas how to go about finding out what type of virus,malmare,spyware this is and how to get rid of it?

I'm sorry,I'm not very tech savvy.It's the Google Search app on the phone.I don't know what version.I'll check into that.But this is what happens...will write in the search bar,example;my phone is under the search bar where the predictions are,it will say is being hacked,is being controlled.It's said awful things like husband is cheating,leaving his family to marry another woman,family is all obese,knows daily habits,knows names.It's as if the person is in the same room having a conversation.I don't believe this is a bot.This is sinister what's happening.It started happening back in March.Was just searching some things,curiously,then the search results just started changing,the negative results started.Did an experiment to see if real or crazy.Uncovered it was nasty to me,covered it,daughter typed something,it told her she was beautiful.It's very hard to try and explain but that's the best we can.

Upvote 0
ok weird, i would do a hard rest on your phone. each phone is different on how to do one. it usually involves powering the device off and then pressing the power button and the vol keys. some are volume up and some are volume down. so without knowing what device you have you might want to do some research on it. just google your device and hard reset.

now if that does not work then take the phone in to your local carrier store for further assistance.

and one last thing i would reset all of your passwords and as many accounts you can think of just for security reasons.

Upvote 0
We talked to many people with the phone carrier,other phone carriers,I.T. techs no one has heard of it but has compar
ok weird, i would do a hard rest
ok weird, i would do a hard rest on your phone. each phone is different on how to do one. it usually involves powering the device off and then pressing the power button and the vol keys. some are volume up and some are volume down. so without knowing what device you have you might want to do some research on it. just google your device and hard reset.

now if that does not work then take the phone in to your local carrier store for further assistance.

and one last thing i would reset all of your passwords and as many accounts you can think of just for security reasons.
Yes,indeed weird and scary and wreaking havoc on family psyche. We had talked to my carrier,an I.T tech,and some others and they have never heard of such an agressive google search bot.I even took screenshots.Thank you very much for your input.That is what everyone else said to do as well.

Upvote 0
I don't know of a mechanism for doing this. But the first thing to do with any suspected hack is to secure your Google account: change password (using a different device), enable two-factor authentication if you haven't already, and check which devices have been accessing your account and deny access to any that you don't recognize. When you use the Google search app you are logged in to your Google account, so it's plausible that this is the way someone could get in - it's the commonest way people hack an android anyway.

Of course if someone has had enough access to your phone there could be malware installed, so a factory reset may be advisable. The catch here is that there's no point doing that if you then sign in to an account that is compromised. However, the password being changed shortly before a reset will appear suspicious to the factory reset protection system (an anti-theft measure) and so could lock you out of the phone for a few days. The way to avoid problems with factory reset protection is to remove your account from the phone before resetting. Obviously all of these require that you know the password for the account - I say this because a surprising number of people do not.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Also downloaded firfox firewall.Is there a game like this google search,a platform of some kind?Facebook, twitter,which i do not have,email hack,cloud hack?It did say it was puplic.It seems pike a group.I turned off google assistant,predictive text,auto fill.It also mentioned a book called how to get away from a badass mo.Yes,I'm badass.lol.But seriously some people believe me some don't.I do have screenshots of it telling me to shut up.Also it threatened it was coming for me.This just can't be all in our heads.

Upvote 0
Have you installed anything from outside of Google Play, like sideloaded apps from whatever other sources?
I usually don't upload files,or photos,I am on wifi and have a firestick also.I was looking though my apps and i did happen to see configureAPK with over 70kb of data.So there maybe malware somewhere.I read you usually only have 20kb.But I am going to do hard reset.Taking it to carrier tomorrow so they can help me.I really just wanted to know if this has ever happened to someone or something like it?Perhaps?This is the second phone i bought.the first one(bought in Oct)was confirmed hack but software was too destroyed to recover any info.New phone was bought in March.So it has to be something!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones