• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Possible GPS bug fix on the way from LG?!!?!

chevanlol360

Android Expert
Oct 28, 2011
new york
Was bored and decided to nag LG about the GPS issue that the optimus f7 has & it it might just do some good. heres the convo below.

michelle: Hello Chevan. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
Chevan: hello i would like to report an issue with on of your products
michelle: Hello, good afternoon! I'll be more than glad to assist you today!
Chevan: Its an Android smartphone Model Number LG870 full name is the LG Optimus F7 from boost mobile. GPS is not working correctly on the Optimus F7, this is my 3rd Optimus F7 and they all have the GPS problem. I googled around and found out that ALmost everyone that has the OPtimus F7 from boost mobile has a GPS issue. This lead me to believe that this is a software issue that you guys needed to be notifed about.
michelle: I really apologize that you are having this problem. Definitely it shouldn't act like this at all, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Chevan: Its ok and The Problem is itcannot be fixed by the User and a factory data reset will not fix the problem
Chevan: LG has to release a software update to fix the bugs
michelle: According to our resources there is no recall or known issue on the phone not working with the GPS network service from your carrier, however if there is a problem with it, definitely we would need to file a report/complaint with the engineering department about this.
michelle: They should be able to send out some sort of update to correct this, if there is a problem with the cell phone.
Chevan: Please Please file a report to them it would mean sooooooo much.
Chevan: can i link to you a review of the Optimus f7 where people complain about gps?
michelle: Yes, sure. Let me inform them about this and send your information to them.
michelle: Yes, that would work too.
Chevan: ok hang on
michelle: And if we have any details or information they will inform you for the updates via e-mail or the service carrier will send you the notification.
Chevan: Amazon.com: Profile For Andy: Reviews
Chevan: theres a review of someone who bought it on amazon and also complained about the gps issue
Chevan: Ok thank you
michelle: Ok, thanks. I will file the report right now and include all the information and details there. If we have any information we will notify you to this e-mail:
michelle: Sure. No problem. Feel free to contact us back if you need further assistance at anytime please.
michelle: You are very welcome! Thank you for choosing LG Electronics, you have a nice day and take care!
michelle: =)
Chevan: OMg thank you thank you thank you:) have a good day
michelle: It has been a pleasure, take care. Bye Bye ^.^
Chevan: bye.

I guess technically we should be nagging boost, Think about it. If a couple hundred Optimus f7 users called in on the issue Boost will eventually realize the issue and personally report the problem to LG for an update. The carrier does authorize any update to their phone so i guess that would be the best way to go about it. Nagging boost lol. Believe me they'll fix it, it'll just take 3-6 months. I've been down this road with Samsung before with the Boost mobile Transform ultra. There was an issue with the screen that EVERYONE had, even did a video of it and posted it on youtube here. I personally didnt call boost to report the issue but i called samsung and coincidentally he had a Transform ultra near by and of course he tested the issue and said yeah there really is something wrong, he said he would report the problem to the engineer section. Now of course many other users called in the issue but About 4-5 months later we received can OTA that fixed the issue and also upgraded us from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6.

Last edited:
I really don't get how something like the gps can be so messed up and they release it. I used to have a galaxy s2 (the power button broke in 2 months) that had the gps issue which everyone else also had but only with the boost s2. The funny thing is I had the warp which was supposed to be really bad quality and the gps worked perfectly with an instant lock to 2 or 3 meters, but it would heat up and the entire battery would drain trying to load one web page especially when the signal was bad.

It seems like it is impossible to find a phone with everything working. At least one thing is always broken especially when you are on the limited selection of boost phones. What I don't get is that if more and more hardware is being integrated into the SOC, why would like the baseband in the warp (QUALCOMM msm8650) be so bad but then another phone with the same msm8650 be fine?? Its like either the manufacture or the carrier is purposely screwing it up??

Upvote 0
I really don't get how something like the gps can be so messed up and they release it. I used to have a galaxy s2 (the power button broke in 2 months) that had the gps issue which everyone else also had but only with the boost s2. The funny thing is I had the warp which was supposed to be really bad quality and the gps worked perfectly with an instant lock to 2 or 3 meters, but it would heat up and the entire battery would drain trying to load one web page especially when the signal was bad.

It seems like it is impossible to find a phone with everything working. At least one thing is always broken especially when you are on the limited selection of boost phones. What I don't get is that if more and more hardware is being integrated into the SOC, why would like the baseband in the warp (QUALCOMM msm8650) be so bad but then another phone with the same msm8650 be fine?? Its like either the manufacture or the carrier is purposely screwing it up??

The reason that is, is because It's all software related, understand that humans create the software we have and humans makes mistakes and some times doesn't even realize. While they do care about us, LG that is. We're just a quick Buck to them. Even sometimes they screw up their flagship service with a software bug that they missed. Now no matter what the problem is our what phone it is. As long as it can be fixed via ota update they will update it. The difference between us and those to of the line smartphone is that their most important and valuable one will get the bug fixes the fastest.

Upvote 0
Should I try to email them too? Would that help? Do you think it is a problem with sprint/boost or lg?

Take it up with boost, better to call them it more easier and will probably make you less mad cause in emails they just go on about trying a factory data rest event though you already told them that it wont work lol.

Upvote 0
I got mine a couple days ago and GPS is working fine, picked me up within seconds. Maybe fixed on new purchases, or I got lucky.

Doubt it. Its probably your imagination. Mine locked on fine too but it has problem staying locked on. I had to use gps to get to my location a couple days ago. It locked on fine and when i was driving it was doing fine but i noticed that when i came to stop lights it had problems staying.locked after that. When i started to move again it was take at least 20-30 seconds for the gps to realize that i started moving again and after that it just couldnt keep up with me. Theres no doubt about it when i say theirs a gps problem with this device and the LG G2 users seem to be complaining about the same symptoms that they are having with their gps. Use gps frequently and i promise you that you'll see that theres something fishy about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones