1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Possible Issues with purchasing a rooted Amaze?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pfoneguy, Jan 26, 2014.

1. pfoneguy

pfoneguy Member

I am thinking of picking up an already rooted Amaze (T-Mobile) which is running 2.3.4 and the owner is unsure if it is s-off, someone else performed the root. What I wanted to try and find out is if I am going to have problems unlocking this device with an unlock code in order to use on Lyca or an ATT MVNO. Also, will I have to un-root in order to update to the ICS OTA update? Any other issues I may run into with an already rooted device, like PRL updates, etc?
    Thanks

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Why would you want to unroot? You can put a better custom ICS ROM than the OTA.

3. pfoneguy

pfoneguy Member

I was more concerned with being able to carrier unlock the device after it had been rooted, is this a problem?

4. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

You can enter the unlock just fine if its rooted.

What you will want to do is hold power and vol down until rhe phone reboots to the bootloader and check to see if the phone is s on or s off. S off is better,imo,and worth rhe efforts to achieve if its not. While s off,you can easily update to stock ics software and firmware and reroot after

Once we know the status of the phone,we can go from there wiht more specific advice

pfoneguy and tube517 like this.
  5. pfoneguy

pfoneguy Member

Thanks for the reply, I missed out on this particular device because I was a little gun shy, but I have my eye on another one and this info is much appreciated.

6. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

The Amaze is an underrated phone, IMHO. The camera is excellent. Also, there are some very good custom ROMs. I kind of wished I didn't trade mine away. I wanted to keep it as a backup but got an offer I couldn't refuse.

HTC Amaze 4G Forum

The HTC Amaze 4G release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, processor, and 1730mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews