• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Possible Keyboard Battery Usage Cause Discovered?

Every time I checked my battery usage, obviously the phone shows the keyboard at the top. But I noticed it glitched like half a second. After really paying attention to it like half-second glitch I noticed it said something behind my keyboard, that wasn't my keyboard, so I screen capped it. Didn't know if this could even remotely be part of the problem, but hey, thought I'd post it anyways.

Half-second glitch thing:
2012-08-18%2009.50.45.png

Battery usage after the half-second glitch thing:
2012-08-18%2009.53.25.png

Do me a favor. Check your apps in /data/app and tell me the name of that keyboard..
It actually looks like the app pics and names are just talking a second to load... If that's the case id be wondering why the game (i think temple run is a game. Sounds like a game) has no name attached.

You've never heard of Temple Run?!?!?! You poor soul.
(Sorry to take the thread off topic, just continue like this wasn't here)

Upvote 0
Do me a favor. Check your apps in /data/app and tell me the name of that keyboard..
It actually looks like the app pics and names are just talking a second to load... If that's the case id be wondering why the game (i think temple run is a game. Sounds like a game) has no name attached.

well it looks like it hadn't loaded up yet, like the system was just started...you notice the one with the pic and name is 3 minutes later. When mine lags on a reboot I know it does the same....well I haven't looked in that area, but my icons look the same and they don't have the proper names.

I will post some pics later after I have run this for a bit. I need to let my battery charge. I have an app called GSam Battery Monitor it used to be called badass battery monitor. Like right now which my phone is charging but still, in my about phone viewage, it has smeggin swype on top at 45%......swype was deleted hours and hours and hours ago. then display, standby, wifi and swiftkey3 at 12%. Now if I go to the more accurate app, of course swype isn't even listed because I don't have it!! Android System is at the top at 23.8 the kernel 14.0 some other crap and swiftkey is way down there at 1.8 that is going into settings and hitting app sucker and seeing what apps, system or user is using the most battery. actually it's listed as "view % Power Used" I will post pics after my phone charges and I've actually used it and we will see what things look like then. I do know that looking in your phone settings for battery usage info is pointless, it isn't accurate.

anna

Upvote 0

The name of the keyboard is obviously SwiftKey 3, but the name in data/app is com.touchtype.swiftkey-1.apk

And the reason the other screenshot is 3 minutes after, is because I was like "Oh, they probably need to know what it looks like normally." I felt like a dumba**. Hahah. And I do kill maps. I just used it to find my way to a place before, so that usage is somewhat accurate.

Upvote 0
Oh, and the system had been running for a very long time. 8+ hours, so it wasn't just started.

That's weird then that you didn't have a complete picture. The only time I see that is if I'm having a lag starting up. Even in /data/app it shows icons. I took a pic, also of the difference in reporting battery usage.
6cdc0f5c-e9df-e0a1.jpg

See, full pics.
6cdc0f5c-ea26-7d0c.jpg

I just noticed I accidentally cropped off the top part so if anyone questions any part of this, I would be more than happy to repeat it.
6cdc0f5c-eb20-2007.jpg
6cdc0f5c-eb58-10b8.jpg

Upvote 0
Notice on GSam Battery Monitor that SwiftKey isn't even showing up. It shouldn't, I type one single thing. No words, just pressed a button to throw darts & read in Facebook but didn't post anything. The music player played the entire time but my play list were already set up. That app is free, conduct your own testing

I shall! lol. Thanks for the app recommendation. I'm actually curious to see what it says.

Upvote 0
I tip my hat to you good sir.

2012-08-19%2015.35.16.png

lol, I know it can be confusing, but this sir is a ma'am bahahaha. It was a name from a book I was reading way back in 95...Angry Candy, but last time I looked I was still female lol. You know sweetie, I wasn't on the Connect board very long when I did something very similar to what you did. I posted something about something I don't remember what, but I used my about phone's battery usage to show what I was talking about. I had several people jump right down my throat and I thought to myself, oh yeah, I will find an app and show y'all. bahahaha, I found an app and showed myself. That was crazy for me twice today, first of all with the swype when I don't even have swype anywhere on my system, not even in a backup and then counting swiftkey when I never typed one single thing. craaaazy. Oh, did you notice the difference in what it said your screen display and wifi usage was? Mine was a huge gap. So now you get to bear the torch of spreading the word, don't trust those built in stats!!

anna

Reactions: xblabberx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones