1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Possible Keyboard Battery Usage Cause Discovered?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xblabberx, Aug 18, 2012.

1. xblabberx

xblabberx Member

Every time I checked my battery usage, obviously the phone shows the keyboard at the top. But I noticed it glitched like half a second. After really paying attention to it like half-second glitch I noticed it said something behind my keyboard, that wasn't my keyboard, so I screen capped it. Didn't know if this could even remotely be part of the problem, but hey, thought I'd post it anyways.

Half-second glitch thing:
    [​IMG]

Battery usage after the half-second glitch thing:
    [​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. savtattoo

savtattoo Well-Known Member

Any idea what that is? The only keyboard I've not had a battery problem with is "Perfect Keyboard"...

3. mrpnut

mrpnut THE WORLD IS YOURS

You need to disable your maps from running in the backgroung also;)

4. bloodroid

bloodroid Newbie

i Am having the same exact issue. what is causing this? i know some keyboards log every keypress and relay information, hope this isnt the case..

5. MotoTriumphant

MotoTriumphant Android Enthusiast

I use gingerbread keyboard it doesn't show up on battery usage so it saves me a good amount of juice

6. myshkin

myshkin Android Enthusiast

I believe I was told when I first got my Connect that this is absolutely not an accurate reading of your battery stats. I know when I used to use um, I think it was called Zbox, the battery stats in that and on this were totally different. Hmm, what else do I have that I can compare? .....Oh, I know, I will post pics in a bit.

anna

7. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert

Do me a favor. Check your apps in /data/app and tell me the name of that keyboard..
    It actually looks like the app pics and names are just talking a second to load... If that's the case id be wondering why the game (i think temple run is a game. Sounds like a game) has no name attached.

8. hYpHyPuRpLe

hYpHyPuRpLe Android Enthusiast

You've never heard of Temple Run?!?!?! You poor soul.
    (Sorry to take the thread off topic, just continue like this wasn't here)

9. myshkin

well it looks like it hadn't loaded up yet, like the system was just started...you notice the one with the pic and name is 3 minutes later. When mine lags on a reboot I know it does the same....well I haven't looked in that area, but my icons look the same and they don't have the proper names.

I will post some pics later after I have run this for a bit. I need to let my battery charge. I have an app called GSam Battery Monitor it used to be called badass battery monitor. Like right now which my phone is charging but still, in my about phone viewage, it has smeggin swype on top at 45%......swype was deleted hours and hours and hours ago. then display, standby, wifi and swiftkey3 at 12%. Now if I go to the more accurate app, of course swype isn't even listed because I don't have it!! Android System is at the top at 23.8 the kernel 14.0 some other crap and swiftkey is way down there at 1.8 that is going into settings and hitting app sucker and seeing what apps, system or user is using the most battery. actually it's listed as "view % Power Used" I will post pics after my phone charges and I've actually used it and we will see what things look like then. I do know that looking in your phone settings for battery usage info is pointless, it isn't accurate.

anna

10. xblabberx

xblabberx Member

The name of the keyboard is obviously SwiftKey 3, but the name in data/app is com.touchtype.swiftkey-1.apk

And the reason the other screenshot is 3 minutes after, is because I was like "Oh, they probably need to know what it looks like normally." I felt like a dumba**. Hahah. And I do kill maps. I just used it to find my way to a place before, so that usage is somewhat accurate.

11. xblabberx

xblabberx Member

Oh, and the system had been running for a very long time. 8+ hours, so it wasn't just started.

12. myshkin

That's weird then that you didn't have a complete picture. The only time I see that is if I'm having a lag starting up. Even in /data/app it shows icons. I took a pic, also of the difference in reporting battery usage.
    [​IMG]
    See, full pics.
    [​IMG]
    I just noticed I accidentally cropped off the top part so if anyone questions any part of this, I would be more than happy to repeat it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. myshkin

Notice on GSam Battery Monitor that SwiftKey isn't even showing up. It shouldn't, I type one single thing. No words, just pressed a button to throw darts & read in Facebook but didn't post anything. The music player played the entire time but my play list were already set up. That app is free, conduct your own testing

14. xblabberx

xblabberx Member

I shall! lol. Thanks for the app recommendation. I'm actually curious to see what it says.

15. xblabberx

xblabberx Member

I tip my hat to you good sir.

[​IMG]

16. myshkin

lol, I know it can be confusing, but this sir is a ma'am bahahaha. It was a name from a book I was reading way back in 95...Angry Candy, but last time I looked I was still female lol. You know sweetie, I wasn't on the Connect board very long when I did something very similar to what you did. I posted something about something I don't remember what, but I used my about phone's battery usage to show what I was talking about. I had several people jump right down my throat and I thought to myself, oh yeah, I will find an app and show y'all. bahahaha, I found an app and showed myself. That was crazy for me twice today, first of all with the swype when I don't even have swype anywhere on my system, not even in a backup and then counting swiftkey when I never typed one single thing. craaaazy. Oh, did you notice the difference in what it said your screen display and wifi usage was? Mine was a huge gap. So now you get to bear the torch of spreading the word, don't trust those built in stats!!

anna

xblabberx likes this.

LG Connect 4G Forum

The LG Connect 4G release date was February 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

February 2012
Release Date
Reviews