• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible loose camera lens cover repair

Mandrew

Dec 28, 2009
Like many other people, my camera lens cover pushed in slightly letting dust onto the lens. I didn't want to go to verizon, lose my phone for a month, and lose my data just for a tiny part so I'm taking matters into my own hands. This procedure is currently in progress and may or may not be successful. Cross your fingers for me! :)

1)Take off the back cover of your phone.
2)Using your fingernail, gently pry up the camera lens cover. It is only attached by a weak adhesive. When you're done, the phone looks like this with the camera lense exposed:
CIMG06631.jpg

3)Now pop the glass lens cover and the foam piece behind it away from the red ring and scrape away the old glue that held these parts together. Sorry I don't have a picture of this.
4)Put a dab of gorilla glue on your finger and smear it on the red ring. Place the glass lens cover on the glue without smearing glue on the lens. Use the back of a regular Bic-type pen to apply pressure to hold the components together. Here's what you have now:
CIMG06621.jpg

Well, that I far as I am. At 11:00, I think the glue will be dry enough to continue and I will update my progress. At this point my biggest worry is glue smudges on the glass.

My gorilla glue is dry. The glass holds tight to the red metal ring. I first thought of using elmers glue to put the ring back on the phone. Instead, I simply stuck it to the old adhesive. It holds the ring on good enough, and I know I will be able to get it back off if I ever need to.

Now for the bad news: I got glue all over the glass lens cover. I tried using goo gone but it doesn't want to come off. :mad: I took a few pictures with the phone and they look very good even blown up to full size, but I still don't like the idea of having glue all over the glass. If I were to do it again, I would cut up old screen protectors to put on the lens cover glass. Then, I wouldn't worry about getting glue on them and I could take the screen protector pieces off after the project is done. Oh well, I hope this helps somebody else!

Upvote 0
Now for the bad news: I got glue all over the glass lens cover. I tried using goo gone but it doesn't want to come off. :mad: I took a few pictures with the phone and they look very good even blown up to full size, but I still don't like the idea of having glue all over the glass. If I were to do it again, I would cut up old screen protectors to put on the lens cover glass. Then, I wouldn't worry about getting glue on them and I could take the screen protector pieces off after the project is done. Oh well, I hope this helps somebody else!

soak in gas for a few hours and then scrub the glass peice, the glue will come off.

Upvote 0
I dipped a toothpick in goo gone and scraped away most of the glue residue. The expansion of the gorilla glue did not cause any problems. The end result is that I'm left with a solid camera lens cover, with very little glue left on the glass. The phone's picture quality has not been affected negatively at all.

Thanks for the suggestion about the gas, but I don't want to keep removing the piece and using the old adhesive again and again, especially since the camera is unaffected as is.

Upvote 0
1. After you remove the lens and old adhesive, make sure to clean the area with isopropyl aclohol, both the bottom of the lens and the case. Don't touch the area with your oily fingers.

2. I'd use a medium viscosity cyanoacrylate (find at Home depot or similar). Something that won't run all over the place, but have enough fluidity to seal all the way around the lens, to prevent dust and debris from entering.

3. Pour the adhesive onto a hard surface, like a plastic dish or cup you want to throw out. Use a coffee stirrer or a straw, cut at an angle, to dip into the adhesive. Apply the adhesive to the case, you won't need much. Place the lens cover on top of the case, and hold firmly for at least 30 seconds. Make sure extra adhesive isn't running to places it's not supposed to go, and make sure the lens is not obstructed.

4. Let cure at least 15 minutes to an hour, depending on adhesive. Wipe up excess with alcohol. Pat self on back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones