• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible permanent damage to battery from update problems

budica

Lurker
Dec 4, 2013
So everyone knows that there are problems with the update to 4.4 causing the battery to drain quickly, what I'd like to know is after this has been fixed will there be any permanent damage to the battery life from so many quick drainings. If there is damage, who will be responsible for repairs, google or LG?

Just a stupid question.

I haven't quite decided, but I think mine is perhaps a touch worse but certainly not dramatically worse than on 4.3. My phone is a new replacement under warranty and not yet rooted and/or "optimised" by me making comparisons difficult.

So everyone doesn't know " that there are problems with the update to 4.4 causing the battery to drain quickly" :)

That said, lithium batteries are ideal for heavy duty use with fast charge/discharge cycles, that's why many portable power tools are now using them. I can't see how the phone's behaviour could be so extreme as to damage the battery.

Upvote 0
I've seen Google Play Services stuck in heavy CPU use in earlier Android versions but not in 4.4 - presumably it was already fixed by the time I updated. On one version my Nexus 7 would get hot to the touch and discharge in under an hour even with the screen off (!), normally it will sit for days in that state with minimal battery use.

The only issue with battery that I saw with 4.4 on the Nexus 4 was in the first day after the first reboot after updating when the battery was losing charge at a much greater rate than expected, down to 35% after about 16 hours. A quick check showed "shell" as the main offender and a reboot fixed it; I can only assume that it had been a leftover from some part of the update process. No issues since.

Upvote 0
So everyone knows that there are problems with the update to 4.4 causing the battery to drain quickly, what I'd like to know is after this has been fixed will there be any permanent damage to the battery life from so many quick drainings. If there is damage, who will be responsible for repairs, google or LG?

Just a stupid question.

Hi budica,

Sorry you are having trouble after a software update. Fortunately, this is not a known issue. If there is a problem with the device you may go through either Google or LG for repair.

Also, do keep in mind there are certain things that can drain your battery if left running in the background all the time.

Thank you,
CL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones