• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

possible to build a speedometer using only the accelerometer?

GizmoDuck

Lurker
Oct 17, 2010
I'm tinkering around with trying to build a speedometer using only the accelerometer for use when I go snowboarding. I can read values from the accelerometer but I'm not sure how I would derive the velocity.

I was thinking of taking the square root of (X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2) where X, Y, and Z are the values reported by the accelerometer in each axis but that only would only give me the amplitude of acceleration at any given instant. I could multiple that by the sampling frequency to get my instantaneous velocity but this approach fails when I'm moving at a constant speed. Any ideas?

Rate of acceleration over time should give you speed. That's how the old G-Tech meters worked for knowing when you hit 60 MPH or your trap speed at the end of the 1/4 mile. All it used was internal accelerometers, so you should be be able to do something similar with your phone. May not be the best for watching to know your speed, but should be OK for logging speeds, I would think. Might not be as accurate as GPS, but should work OK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones