• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible to connect external HD to xoom?

Hey guys. Just got a xoom. first android device (sick of jailbreaking). Anyway, this forum has been EXTREEMLY helpful in giving me a crash course in all things android. Anyway, quick question... is it possible to hook up an external hard drive to the xoom through the usb port, and play movies off that? all i need is a standard to micro usb adapter, and i should be set, but i wanted to make sure this is actually possible before i buy one.

Thanks.

Yes it is possible. I am running ICS (android 4.0.3). I ordered 2 micro sd host cables from ebay for $4.34 including shipping. They came from Hong Kong in a week. I installed USB Mass Storage Watcher from the market and my xoom now sees my flash drive at /media/usb.

Upvote 0
I updated the os to ics on my samsung gs2 and now can use my otg cable to connect thumb drives etc (still wont recognize larger hard drives but I think thats because they are not FAT32 format) i'm using v3.2 on my XOOM and does not sseem to recognize and external hard drives what so ever, I can connect a mouse and keyboard but no usb hd. Waiting for ics to be available in Aus.
Seriously how long can it take to "test" ics on wifi only version?!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones