1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Possible to disable internal battery when power bank plugged in?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Shamoy, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Shamoy

Shamoy Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi,

I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Dual (D6633) and I will be upgrading to the upcoming Xperia flagship relased at IFA. I was wondering if I could disable the battery inside the phone while I have a power bank plugged in and when I unplug it, it switches to using my internal battery. This is to prevent my phone from getting hot because of charging and discharging at the same time.

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Hey @Shamoy, welcome to our AndroidForums!

I'm not an electronics guy like our friend @AZgl1500 is, but I'm pretty sure that the phone works by drawing power from the internal connection to the internal battery--i.e., the USB port is used to communicate to the device and to re-charge the internal battery.

So, there would be no way of bypassing it--as far as I know...

AZgl1500 likes this.
  3. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Yep all the current phones/tablets work this way, the internal battery is always the power source and any external power is used to charge the battery (or float it if it's already at 100%). If the internal battery is removable and you remove it then connect external power, the device won't power on. So there is no way to defeat the charging that takes place when you plug it in. You could try using an older charger that doesn't supply as much current, this might lessen the heating but depending on what you're doing with the phone it might not be sufficient to prevent the battery from discharging. Also the charger itself might overheat from being maxed out on current draw.

AZgl1500 and scary alien like this.
  4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    When I am working at my office desk, I keep a Qi wireless charging pad there.

I always lay the phone on that pad which can provide roughly ~750 mA to the phone for charging purposes/run the phone.

the phone does not even get warm that way, and after 3-5 hours of heavy "actual talking with my BT headset" the battery is maybe charged 15-25 percent more than when it was laid on the Qi charger.

for me, that is a win win situation.... I can work with folks on the phone for hours if need be, the phone stays charged, and "maybe" gets a few percent more than when I took their calls.

I am a moderator on a very busy forum, and the host recently bungled the security firewall and all of the passwords were hacked, so the administrators thought it would be a cute idea to cancel all passwords, send out a bulk email message to a few million users and inform them they have to create a new password.

never mind that 75% of the users have new email addresses, have been members for 5-15 years, and have no clue how they logged in, or what email they used, or what their password is/was.

Never mind that when well over a million emails get sent out in one day, the Email Servers freak out, and cry SPAMMER and blocked all of the outgoing emails from our forum....

so, now they can't log in, they can't receive the emails that were sent to tell them what happened, all they know is they are blocked, and no one will respond to their appeals.....

They can't even receive the Reset your Password email, because our forum email address is blocked... and still is................ :( :(

so, I finally got Admin to put my phone number in the error message... thus why I spend a lot of hours on the phone....

I never get verbose, just explaining why I use the phone a lot.

makaiguy and scary alien like this.