• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible to link HTC SMS widget to another sms client? (chomp?)

I love the SMS widget but I never use it because I don't like the default htc/hero sms app. I prefer chomp and sometimes handescent. Is it possible to link the sms widget to another sms app so when I tap on it, it opens another app and not the default one?
Of course - when you tap on it you should be given a choice of apps to use and if you tick the box, this will become your default.

Upvote 0
Just be aware that though you may tap on the message and it will direct you to Handcent or Chomp SMS it will NOT direct you when you press on the list or compose icons at the bottom of the widget. Those buttons will take you directly to the factory messaging app
Correct, but since installing Chomp I recommend quick compose using a long press of the search button from any home screen.

Upvote 0
I can't get this to work. I use Chomp, but I love the stock HTC messaging widget. It's really clean and takes up the full page to display many threads. I uninstalled Chomp, and went to my app settings to clear all data from the stock messaging app. Then I reinstalled Chomp. I put the stock messaging widget back on one of my homescreens, and clicked on one of the conversation threads hoping to see "Which app would you like to open this with?" but it automatically opened the HTC messaging app.

Suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones