• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible to send sms using only wifi?

chocogirl

Lurker
Jul 24, 2011
I live just outside the range of my cell service provider's coverage area. I am always missing SMS texts, and get a flood of them when I re-enter the signal area.
Is there an app that will allow me to still send/receive sms on my phone using only the wifi in my house? I'm not talking about something like Skype or any other instant message app (IM), but an actual SMS app that will work on my phone, not my computer.
Thanks!

I'm not sure this is possible as the SMS settings are provided by your signal provider... that is how they make their money etc.

The only option I can think of is if they have a "web text" service (e.g O2 in the UK does) where you log on to your provider's website and send texts from there. You usually get a certain amount of free texts and the option to buy a bundle of texts too. Some webtext services also enable replies to come to the website too and then you would just have to log on to the site via your mobile wifi and browser. Not all webtext services enable the reply service though I've found.

Upvote 0
WhatsApp Messenger is a smartphone messenger available for Android, Blackberry, iPhone, and Nokia phones. WhatsApp uses your 3G or WiFi (when available) to message with friends and family. Switch from SMS to WhatsApp to send and receive messages, pictures, audio notes, and video messages.

WhatsApp Messenger - Android app on AppBrain

Hope this might help. :D

(It does require that both parties have the app installed)

Upvote 0
GV does but you have to use your GV number for SMS unless you're with Sprint.

With GV you can send/receive SMS via data on your device or even use any internet-connected PC to send/receive SMS via the GV web site (you don't even need your device).

WhatsApp Messenger is a smartphone messenger available for Android, Blackberry, iPhone, and Nokia phones.
(It does require that both parties have the app installed)
Doesn't sound like what the OP is asking for. If I'm understanding the OP correctly the intent isn't to require the other people to change things on their end but to continue using SMS.

Also the best voicemail available.
Best is always highly subjective. At least state why you think it is best so that others can determine if your preferences are in line with their own or not. GV's VM transcription is very popular but that doesn't mean that everyone prefers it. Never assume that your preferences are universal.

facebook message yes. SMS, come on... SMS is provided by your carrier like AT&T. They're not free
Of course not. That, however, doesn't preclude the existence of free alternatives though most of them have caveats.

Upvote 0
I used to go to a Cambo border town called Koh Kong. It is about 3 miles from the Thai border. They used a mobile phone but hooked a wire up to it or rested it on the back of the phone. The wire lead to a roof ant so they could use the Thai phone service when calling Thailand. Sounds like you need a small att/signal boast for your phone to work where you are.

Upvote 0
i'm in a similar situation to OP.

i think what she's looking for (as well as i am) is something that uses wifi to receive/send texts, sorta like how viber works with making phone calls. i know that i am not looking for an app that will give me "free texts". i wouldnt mind having an app that uses up my texts, i just need something that will allow me to send out/receive texts since i get pretty crappy service in my house

Upvote 0
Another vote for Google Voice here.

However, another option would be email. Your friends can send SMS to your email address and you can email back to their SMS. If you email their SMS address first, they won't even have to deal with the hassle of typing in your email address.
List of SMS gateways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones