• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible to unlock Verizon DROID Razr?

mlx93

Lurker
Dec 27, 2012
Hi all, I've been doing searching to find a solution to this and frankly I am overwhelmed. I am very good with computers, but technical cellphone jargon confuses me since I don't know what much of it means (I have never been into cellphone modding or hacking).

Is it possible to unlock my Verizon DROID Razr? I bought it as part of a 2 year contract, am looking to drop the contract and switch to a less expensive provider. The model number is MOTXT912-16, if you need any other details just let me know and I will provide them. I am also located in the USA.

If it is possible to unlock this Verizon phone (so I can insert a T-Mobile SIM for example) I'd like to know how the general process works, and where I can find a guide. This information will be very helpful to me, because I've been reading some people that say its possible, and others say it isn't. Thanks! :D

I've moved this to the Droid Razr thread to help you get more accurate answers. Just looking at the phone on Verizon's website, it does appear to be "Global Ready", meaning that it does have GSM radios in it that should at the very least be able to get you voice/text and 2g on T-Mobile. Doubtful that it would give you any more than that. I would contact Verizon to see what needs to be done to unlock the GSM radios.

Upvote 0
After doing more research on the topic, it appears the short answer is no for us carriers as trophy has stated. In theory, it should work; however Verizon has a layer of security on the device that appears to prevent it from connecting reliably to US GSM carriers. A developer was able to successfully get a Droid Bionic to work by using a certain ICS leaked build because apparently it was missing this layer of security.

The bottom line is, there currently exists no hack to get it to work. If you could somehow persuade Verizon to unlock the phone for you, it will work, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that happening. Only way I could see that happening is if you bought the device at full retail without any Verizon account or intention to activate it on Verizon. But why would you do that when you could have bought the GSM version at full retail an avoided that headache to begin with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones