1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Possible to use barcode scanner as camera workaround with CM9??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by julianf, Jul 24, 2013.

1. julianf

julianf Newbie

Well, sorta. I downloaded this app called barcode scanner and when i launched it the camera turned on and i was able to scan barcodes! I could see the camera working fine. The default camera app still dosn't work and says 'cannot connect to camera' but the barcode scanner app works! I cant take pictures (because the app wont let me) but the camera turns on and i can see it working. So im guessing if this app can access it, maybe using the same method the default camera app will recognize the camera.

Advertisement

2. David Dubz

David Dubz Android Enthusiast

If this actually works like you said, this could be huge. Can anyone else confirm this?

3. starkraving

starkraving Android Expert

Can NOT duplicate this with ANY barcode scanner app. App opens and simply closes. Doesn't open the viewfinder. Again if the actual hw and drivers aren't working an after market application that uses that hw will NOT work. Furthermore "if" it did actually work (the barcode scanner) that doesn't "fix" the camera. :mad:
    [​IMG]

4. starkraving

You should really change the title of this thread. Or better yet request a mod to delete it.

5. snorge

snorge Android Enthusiast

Hmm this makes no sense. Got excited for a minute though.

6. biffking

biffking Newbie

I got excited too, but could not get any app to work.

7. phenomx4

phenomx4 Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Someone please delete

8. JumpinJupiter

JumpinJupiter Android Enthusiast

Give us the link to the EXACT app you are using. What build are you using which Rom are you using.Before this thread is deleted.

9. JumpinJupiter

JumpinJupiter Android Enthusiast

Don't mean to get off topic but I haven't seen you online in a long time. Out of curosity do you plan on updating your Elephant Rom any time soon? :D Fastest and most Stable GB Rom I have used yet! Anyway welcome back.

10. David Dubz

David Dubz Android Enthusiast

Dang, too bad this didn't work :( this thread probably should be deleted OR the title of the thread should have [Solved: Doesn't work] or something in front of the name.

^ about the elephant rom, I haven't updated the rom in forever bc it's just outdated and nobody really took interest in it, so I stopped updating. Plus cm9 was getting more and more stable and awesome. If people take interest in it, I might update it based on Hydra and it's awesomeness.

11. cfreeman90

cfreeman90 Well-Known Member

While looking in the build prop editor, I scrolled down to "RO.Product.Camera & below it theres "property value msm7630"
    When I google "msm7630" I get that it's a "snap dragon gpu", could this value be wrong in the CM9 build.......Just a question, dont know if hlps anything!!!

12. DarthN8ter

DarthN8ter Newbie

Elephant was my first ROM because someone suggested it. Loved it would totally switch back if you updated!! :)

13. cfreeman90

CPU not GPU....:)

14. Dark One

Dark One Android Expert

15. FoxyDrew

FoxyDrew Android Enthusiast

This could be something, I too don't know too much about how this affect the camera. But I do know the elite has a Qualcomm MSM8655 Snapdragon processor, not a MSM7630.

Edit: I tried changing that value under the ro.product.camera, and it had no effect. But I didn't expect it to so whatev.

16. starkraving

Its actually a Snapdragon S1, MSM7x30 Scorpion architecture.

Attached Files:

cfreeman90 likes this.
  17. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

We all know how everyone's mileage can vary with apps.

Until we see the actual barcode app being used, I went for the title change. :)

PS - as long as anyone is interested, maybe try Google Goggles rather than a barcode scanner.

mad4some, ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  18. cfreeman90

What I was pointing out is it says "RO.Product.Camera" but gives the "value" for the "CPU", I don't know if thats whats supposed to be there but why RO.Product.Camera" with a value for the CPU & not for the "Camera"???

19. starkraving

Maybe look at the values on a stock ics rom or an official cm9 from and compare them? I'll look at PA on my N4...its JB but it should be similar.

20. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Just guessing - build.prop on camera=cpu used as flag to choose for hardware/software image processing.

ocnbrze likes this.
  21. starkraving

Agreed. Definitely a driver/kernel, lib and hw issue...I wish a build.prop edit would sort it...alas if wishes were fishes lol.

22. snorge

snorge Android Enthusiast

so did this really happen then or was it a dream?

23. cfreeman90

24. Artine

Artine Android Expert

25. starkraving