1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Possible Turn Off WiFi Auto-Connect For Remembered Networks?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by bucket, Dec 30, 2012.

1. bucket

bucket Newbie

Does anyone know if this is possible?

On my Windows computer I can set the computer to automatically connect to a network or not. I want to do the same thing on Android.

On Android I connect to a network, I type in the password and the network is saved. Now every time I am in range the phone autoconnects to that network. I just want the phone to not connect unless I tell it to.

I know I could just forget the network but then I would have to type in the password again. I know I could turn off WiFi but I like having it on because it improves my location.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Benjie

Benjie Android Enthusiast

Wandering whilst wondering through the settings for the wifi might be the place to look. Mine on occasion turns itself on, but not normally.

3. Benjie

Benjie Android Enthusiast

Actually under mobile networks.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Having WiFi on but not connected to anything doesn't improve location. Its only able to do that if its connected to a network since its able to use the WiFi router's location ID.

5. BearTi

BearTi Lurker

6. kaushal101

kaushal101 Newbie

So you're saying it drains your battery and it's stable!!? I was looking for something that can do the same thing as OP had described.

7. Look into Tasker (see ... Tasker - Android Forums).

In my case I want to auto-connect to my Wi-Fi network and when out of range I want Wi-Fi turned off. (This allows me to go into a customer location without my phone constantly trying to connect to one of their Wi-Fi networks.)

As was pointed out ... your location is known even when Wi-Fi is turned off.

... Thom

8. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

What exactly is a WiFi router's location ID? Are you saying a WiFi router (or AP) somehow know's its geographic location, and can make this information available to WiFi clients, but only if they're connected?

AFAIK, Android uses SSID broadcasts to identify nearby wifi networks, and combines this with other information, including nearby cell towers and GPS, are used to determine your location. This occurs whether you're connected to a wifi network or not.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

AFAIK a WiFi router has it's location saved on the internet. I've had some problem with routers thinking it's in another country so i had to reset.

Anyway, it was wrong info from me apparently.

10. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

The router may try to determine its own location from the IP address it gets from the ISP and it sometimes gets it wrong. Your reset probably picked up a different IP and got that one right :)

But in any case that's internal to the router; it doesn't get passed on to clients, although they may use their own methods based on IP once connected. Google uses a completely different approach using only the SSID - which was mapped when driving past in the camera car that made the Google Steet View pictures.

No need for Google to connect to anything since it already knows the exact location of pretty much every SSID (and cellphone tower) it can "see". It works well; I'm often surprised by how accurate my initial "fix" is if I'm in an area with lots of wifi users - long before the GPS even acquires the satellites it needs for proper locating to start.