1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Possible workaround for disabling LTE...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by colnago, Apr 27, 2012.

1. colnago

colnago Android Expert

FWIW, I just got my Note this week, and not sure if this has been posted before, but I'm worried that the weak'ish LTE signal at my new job site may be/will be causing accelerated battery drain (still doing initial charge/discharge cycles). I simply added a 2nd APN, using my AT&T "Media Net" settings (only have WAP.cingular in APN section, all other sections blank). I seem to have gone from a -95dBm and -101dBm LTE signal, to a -85dBm HSPA. Not much of a change, but those levels are about the borderline of where I start seeing higher battery drain when the phone is idle (roughly -91dBm, or "3 bars").

I know the phone will drop to HSPA automatically, but hopefully it will cut down on the phone searching/struggling for signal given that my building has a marginally good signal. My area has fairly good LTE coverage otherwise (58Mbps down/14Mbps up near RFK Stadium).

I'm not sure if there is an APN toggle widget (Widgetsoid maybe?), but I'll just make a shortcut to the APN settings using AnyCut, or Launcher Pro. As always YMMV, and I have seen the LTE symbol pop up on the status bar, as I change the way I'm holding the phone, but it doesn't stay long enough to start a speed test. It does however state that it's connected to LTE, per phone status. It just a shame that my $300 (full retail) T-Mobile Defy gets better HSPA reception on AT&T's HSPA network than the Note.

Samsung Galaxy Note LTE Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews