• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Possibly bricked from accidental format

dymmeh

Apr 17, 2010
So, I managed to reformat my internal storage on my phone (to FAT) and now I can't boot the phone. It just bootloops.
If i boot into recovery and try to wipe i get the error
E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
(File Exists)
Error mounting /data/!

Now, i tried to reformat data from adb shell by doing:
adb shell
su
format /data

but SU is coming up as an unrecognized command... format also

anyone know what I should do or should i chuck this out the window :)

some info that may (or may not) help:
rooted + s-off
cyanogen 6.0.2
kings kernel #2

yup i just got everything back to normal.

SOLVED: messed up partitions on internal storage - CyanogenMod Forum

thats the process if anyone else is an idiot like me :)
cheers!

So did you mainly just follow the steps in post #7 of that thread? Any other tips you can share? I would like to compile all available documentation for this problem because I have not found tons of info on it. I ended up at the same thread as you when I was searching.

Anything at all you can add would be helpful. Thanks.

Upvote 0
So did you mainly just follow the steps in post #7 of that thread? Any other tips you can share? I would like to compile all available documentation for this problem because I have not found tons of info on it. I ended up at the same thread as you when I was searching.

Anything at all you can add would be helpful. Thanks.

Yeah i followed post #7. Once I did that the errors went away, however, I still could not boot properly even after a fresh wipe + install. I switched to a different ROM and then was able to boot. After that I was able to switch back to CM6.0.2 with no problems and my phone is back to normal.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
I can probably answer that. When you connect to the PC in disk drive mode, both the internal memory and the SD card show up as drives. Most of us have formatted our SD cards to FAT32 due to file recognition issues on the FAT format. If you inadvertantly select the internal drive instead of the SD card when formatting, you end up with this problem.

Upvote 0
I can probably answer that. When you connect to the PC in disk drive mode, both the internal memory and the SD card show up as drives. Most of us have formatted our SD cards to FAT32 due to file recognition issues on the FAT format. If you inadvertantly select the internal drive instead of the SD card when formatting, you end up with this problem.

Quite possibly the case. Glad I did not make this mistake.

Upvote 0

^this... for whatever reason cyanogen 6.0.2 brings up the "oh no! you need to format this device to use it!" dialog when you mount the phone's internal drive to your PC.. so i, in my infinite wisdom, said "hey, let's do that so i can use the internal storage! for science!!" and then formatted it and made my phone very angry.

Reactions: ReuseablePlastix
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones