• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possibly getting the droid 2, a few questions

jes0212

May 21, 2010
Upstate NY
Well I have two questions about this phone. My mom is having issues with her incredible and is able to switch to a different phone. First, is there an app similar to google maps that is free? Second, since mobile broadband isn't availaible... does this mean tether can't be used?
Thanks.

You get both Google Maps and Google Navigation for free on the D2, which in my opinion is as good as any other stand-alone or app-based GPS navigation system. It may be possible to get BING MAPS and BING NAVIGATION, whether rooting would be necessary or not I'm not sure.

As for tethering, if you're looking to tether via USB you can do so without ROOT with PDA NET, at least last time I checked it was possible. If you're willing to root your phone when there's several apps that will allow you to tether via USB or BLUETOOTH. Otherwise you'd have to add-on a tethering package for the existing data package to the tune of at least an additional $20 per month.

Upvote 0
Google maps comes preinstalled as does voice turn by turn navigation, they are both free.

To my knowledge, you can't tether without paying the extra money to Verizon, but if you root the device you can do it for free.

No root needed, tethering is free with pdanet.....downloadable via their website, tested and verified.

if she is having problems with her incredible, they will send her a replacement incredible for free under factory warranty....it may not be brand new and they may not have it in stock right now, BUT, with 4g phones coming out around January, it would really suck to waste an upgrade on a phone that's not really an upgrade, not significantly anyways

Upvote 0
No root needed, tethering is free with pdanet.....downloadable via their website, tested and verified.

if she is having problems with her incredible, they will send her a replacement incredible for free under factory warranty....it may not be brand new and they may not have it in stock right now, BUT, with 4g phones coming out around January, it would really suck to waste an upgrade on a phone that's not really an upgrade, not significantly anyways

PDAnet does wifi tethering?

Upvote 0
PDAnet does wifi tethering?

yeah, usb or bluetooth.

your phone can be on 3g or wifi and act as the modem for your laptop.....that is what you are wanting right?

Just to correct you, WiFi tethering is not using WiFi to get your internet to your phone, and then using BT or a USB to get it to your PC.

WiFi tethering is when the phone uses the 3G to get data and the phone then acts as a WiFi Router to broadcast broadband internet to one or more other devices via that WiFi.

What your talking about above is not WiFi Tethering. That is BT and USB tethering, and your saying you are able to use these with PDA net no matter if your phone is getting the broadband by 3G or by a WiFi feed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones