• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possibly switching to the hero from the moment:

maxinspace

Feb 13, 2010
Just have a few questions. I know people hate Phone vs. Phone threads all the time, but that isn't my purpose so I sincerely apologize to the people who feel like I'm the thousandth person creating this topic. Getting tired of the Moments bulk from the keyboard which I never use. I've checked for recent posts on these issues, and haven't had much luck (all are from a few months ago).
1-If you've had both the moment and the hero, is the hero noticably laggier? (I wouldn't root it)
2-Is dust getting under the screen still an issue, or was that fixed on newer heros?
3-Is the screen about as bright and clear as the moments?
4-Any other comments/comparisons/opinions?

The Hero is more laggy stock, no real doubt about that.
Dust might still get under the screen, not entirely sure.
The screen isn't AMOLED, but it seems plenty clear compared to my Mom's Moment.

Comments: ROOT IT. It's simple to do, and you can get rid of the sprintware, and throw on a custom ROM that speeds it up to virtually no lag at all.

Upvote 0
1-I have not had the Moment, but I've had my hero for exactly one week now. Quite the noob still on it, but I love it. No lag at all, and I'm not rooted.

2-I saw a really big thread on here last night about dust under the screen, apparently nobody outside one person (who had some bad luck) has ever had dust under their screen on their Hero.

3-It gets freaking bright, but, because of the Hero's battery, I keep it at about 25%, maybe a little less. It's perfectly fine and clear that low.

4-If possible, I would have babies with my Hero.

Upvote 0
The Hero is more laggy stock, no real doubt about that.
Dust might still get under the screen, not entirely sure.
The screen isn't AMOLED, but it seems plenty clear compared to my Mom's Moment.

Comments: ROOT IT. It's simple to do, and you can get rid of the sprintware, and throw on a custom ROM that speeds it up to virtually no lag at all.

I like how you used virtually no lag hehe. But tatonka is right follow those steps and you will be ok.

Upvote 0
Yeah, battery life is also an issue with my moment, but the hero has a plethora of extended batteries available and the moment has zero! i've read that HTC phones have a 2 year manufacturer's warranty and will send you a new device if you have the dust issue. Not sure if that's true, but I'm just not as happy with my Moment as I thought I would be. Sense UI really looks like the way to go. I've also never seen people as enthusiastic about their phones as the hero and droid. I guess i should just give it a shot and see if the phone impresses me while i'm still on my 30 days with no restocking fees at bestbuy.

Upvote 0
If you root/ROM, your battery life can increase dramatically. I mean, like doubling. Some people are reporting 30+ hours on moderate use, which I'd say is pretty amazing for a phone that does so much.

I charge mine each night out of habit, but I am very rarely below 70% by that time, even sitting in such a low service area most of the time.

Upvote 0
I'm aware that it's pretty hard to mess up the process, but I'm just not sure I'd be ok with voiding my warranty.

All you do is flash back to stock (RUU) to "un-void" your warranty. If you RUU, there's no way to tell if you've rooted or not, especially if you format your SD card before taking it in as well, assuming you're worried about having to take it into a repair center.

Upvote 0
Is there any slight possibility of absolutely destroying your phone in the process of rooting? Or is it something a dummy can do without risking much.

Pretty much the only way of bricking your phone is by flashing a ROM for the GSM Hero's (or any other phone for that matter). If it doesn't explicitly say for the CDMA Hero, then don't flash it.

Follow that rule, and it's pretty damn hard to brick the phone, because there's always the RUU or a Nandroid backup (always make backups before changes, once you're rooted).

Upvote 0
I have a Hero -wife a Moment. Here's my take.

1 - The Moment is just a little faster at some things, notably web browsing, but I wouldn't call my hero (un-rooted) slow in comparison.

2 - I've had my Hero since a week after release, and still no dust for me. It does seem like an issue for a lot.

3 - The Hero screen side by side with the Moment is sharper and more detailed but not as vivid and colorful although the Moment's bluish hue does show. Brightness seems about equal.

4 - I prefer the Hero, but my wife wouldn't trade if I wanted to. IMHO they're both pretty nice but each has it's flaws.

Upvote 0
Most set it to 528 max, 245 or 160 min, which isn't really overclocking it. SetCPU seems more for throttling the CPU to slow down or speed up at various times. I think SetCPU is more for battery life than anything at this point.

I have a Hero -wife a Moment. Here's my take.

1 - The Moment is just a little faster at some things, notably web browsing, but I wouldn't call my hero (un-rooted) slow in comparison.

2 - I've had my Hero since a week after release, and still no dust for me. It does seem like an issue for a lot.

3 - The Hero screen side by side with the Moment is sharper and more detailed but not as vivid and colorful although the Moment's bluish hue does show. Brightness seems about equal.

4 - I prefer the Hero, but my wife wouldn't trade if I wanted to. IMHO they're both pretty nice but each has it's flaws.

Minnesotans unite! tatonka where in MN do you live?

Upvote 0
I have a Hero.... my Wife has a Moment..

both are good phones.. but the moment does have a problem of going into airplane mode on it's own..and the only way out is a reboot.. to some it isn't a big deal.. for me I had to have a working phone 24/7 because of being on call for works every other week. that said.. the moment is a decent phone.. but once the hero is rooted, ROM'd and Gumbo'd it screams

Upvote 0
Yeah, personally for me, this is my first electronic touch device I've had. I was unaware that dust under the screen could become a problem, but after my long, triffling(amazing) first week with my hero, all is in good condition. No dust, and I spend most of my days out on a farm.

I considered getting the moment, but the Hero simply reeled me in way easier. Although I do miss having an actual keyboard. I have however talked to some people who have had the moment, and they seemed to like it. But everyone goes crazy over my Hero.

Upvote 0
Just have a few questions. I know people hate Phone vs. Phone threads all the time, but that isn't my purpose so I sincerely apologize to the people who feel like I'm the thousandth person creating this topic. Getting tired of the Moments bulk from the keyboard which I never use. I've checked for recent posts on these issues, and haven't had much luck (all are from a few months ago).
1-If you've had both the moment and the hero, is the hero noticably laggier? (I wouldn't root it)
2-Is dust getting under the screen still an issue, or was that fixed on newer heros?
3-Is the screen about as bright and clear as the moments?
4-Any other comments/comparisons/opinions?

My two cents as I have had both, switched from the Hero to the Moment and then back to the Hero...

Hero is NOT noticably laggier...at least not mine....

No dust issues so far and I had a pre-release Hero...

Screen not as bright but just as "clear"...but the Hero still looks gorgeous..

As I mentioned above, i went from one to the other then back...why? Well I couldnt stand the virtual keyboard..not particular to the Hero, just in general...but after leaving the Hero and having the Moment for a couple of months I missed the sense UI and the fact that the Hero is smaller...now Im back to the Hero and I wont turn back....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones