• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

post-captivate.. what to get

robphelan

Aug 19, 2010
I've had my captivate for about a year and just lost it. I don't have much hope for finding it, either.

if you guys were in the same boat, what would you get next? I really liked it, but wish the screen was slightly bigger.

My wife has the Atrix - i was thinking about getting her an iPhone and keeping the Atrix for myself.

We are on same wave length! Was just thinking about this.

What do fellow captivate users have their eye on (existing or rumored or to be released) for upgrade time? I've been mostly happy with the captivate (got it in July 2010) and have an upgrade coming December 18th this year -- which I may or may not use depending on how I like the other devices available at that time. :)

Upvote 0
I've looked at the SGSII, and it looks great... but I've heard that its sound quality is not as good as the Captivate. I'm not sure, however, if they're talking about Media sound or phone call quality, but it's definitely because of a downgrade in the hardware according to Supercurio over at XDA.

As someone who's avoided all things HTC for that very reason, I have to admit that, though I really do like my Cappy, I'd think twice about "upgrading" to a phone that, though larger and with a camera that finally has a flash, has been downgraded in other ways.

Upvote 0
I've looked at the SGSII, and it looks great... but I've heard that its sound quality is not as good as the Captivate. I'm not sure, however, if they're talking about Media sound or phone call quality, but it's definitely because of a downgrade in the hardware according to Supercurio over at XDA.

As someone who's avoided all things HTC for that very reason, I have to admit that, though I really do like my Cappy, I'd think twice about "upgrading" to a phone that, though larger and with a camera that finally has a flash, has been downgraded in other ways.

Only people with *very* good earphones and very good hearing would notice the difference in audio quality.

Upvote 0
Several options out there...

Samsung SGS II, basically the successor to the Captivate. Maybe out this month, probably out beginning of October.
LG Thrill 3D. Out now, at first glance the specs aren't as good as some of the others listed, but it's apparently got some sort of special memory that is better utilized? the 3D is definitely gimmicky, but the phone is apparently pretty solid. It's already out/available.
HTC Holiday (Waikiki?), supposedly due out in October. Very comparable to the SGS II from specs, battery might be bigger.
Nexus Prime, the next Nexus device. The specs on this one are absurd, but the price probably will be too, since I don't see AT&T subsidizing it initially. Probably won't be out until November.

The Atrix is an interesting option, if only because you can probably get the lapdock much cheaper now than you could several months ago. There's a definite screen quality difference between it and the Captivate though.

I'm personally leaning towards the Holiday/Waikiki, but intend to wait until I can compare it side by side with the SGS II.

Upvote 0
Over the years I found myself looking forward to getting "what's next." Although I'm eligible for an early upgrade in December, I'm not losing sleep waiting for the clock to tick down. Yes, the Captivate's GPS sucks but I just don't use that feature. All else is rock solid, but only because I'm using an Apex ROM, a Talon kernel, and a couple of tweaks thrown in for additional optimization. The phone is so stable and responsive (read: very fast) that spending money on another device would be almost criminal.

I still believe that Samsung's mobile division has sucked, is sucking, and will continue to suck for reasons I've re-hashed too many times. That said, the SGS II would be my choice today if I needed to make one. The ROM chefs as well as kernel and tweak sous chefs I follow will support it so I wouldn't have to rely on stock.

Upvote 0
I dumped the Captivate months ago and went with Atrix (mostly because of the GPS and lack of updates). Atrix really is nice. Motorola has done a great job of keeping it up to date. It's running 2.3.4 right now. No need to root or load ROMs etc. Works great out of the box, is blazing fast for everything and the GPS even works.

The laptop dock is over rated. I use the multimedia dock with the wireless keyboard and mouse. To me it is a better option and cheaper too. Having an HDMI port kicks butt too. I use it in hotel rooms a lot. Just hook it to the TV and watch movies from the SD card.

Also, the battery lasts a long time. I get about twice the run time that I did on the Captivate. More than 2x if I play a lot of games. The Atrix dual CPU barely has to work to play the same games that made my Atrix smoking hot.

John

Upvote 0
I dumped the Captivate months ago and went with Atrix (mostly because of the GPS and lack of updates). Atrix really is nice. Motorola has done a great job of keeping it up to date. It's running 2.3.4 right now. No need to root or load ROMs etc. Works great out of the box, is blazing fast for everything and the GPS even works.

The laptop dock is over rated. I use the multimedia dock with the wireless keyboard and mouse. To me it is a better option and cheaper too. Having an HDMI port kicks butt too. I use it in hotel rooms a lot. Just hook it to the TV and watch movies from the SD card.

Also, the battery lasts a long time. I get about twice the run time that I did on the Captivate. More than 2x if I play a lot of games. The Atrix dual CPU barely has to work to play the same games that made my Atrix smoking hot.

John

but the screen is garbage in comparison.

Upvote 0
My only concern with the Prime is that it sounds (note: no way of knowing yet for sure!) like it has a pentile display, which would just be full of suck for such a big "HD" screen.
The display on the Prime is rumored to be the same as the Captivate display, but larger and at higher HD resolution.

So if you think that the pentile, super amoled display on the Captivate is full of suck, then I guess the Prime display would also be full of suck for you too.

but the screen is garbage in comparison.
I hate the display on the Atrix - crap!

Upvote 0
The display on the Prime is rumored to be the same as the Captivate display, but larger and at higher HD resolution.

So if you think that the pentile, super amoled display on the Captivate is full of suck, then I guess the Prime display would also be full of suck for you too.

I hate the display on the Atrix - crap!

No, the rumored display on the Prime is a HD AMOLED Pentile..and the display on the Atrix IS Pentile.

http://androidandme.com/2011/08/devices/rumor-samsung-nexus-prime-to-have-october-release/

According to the newest report out of Korean-based Electronic Times, that HD display will actually be a 4.5-inch Super AMOLED HD manufactured by Samsung. There’s some good and bad aspects of this rumor.

Unfortunately, the display is rumored to used Pentile technology to achieve the high resolution.

At least do a bit of research before you try and trash me, ya?

Upvote 0
At least do a bit of research before you try and trash me, ya?
You do realize that the super AMOLED display on our Captivate is also pentile right??

Not all pentile displays are equal. The Atrix uses an LCD pentile setup while the Samsung super AMOLED also uses the pentile setup but is superior to the Atrix due to its superior AMOLED color and brightness qualities.

AMOLED - pentile subpixel matrix (Nexus One, etc.)
Super AMOLED - pentile subpixle matrix but brighter (Galaxy S, Captivate, some Nexus S, etc)
Super AMOLED HD - pentile subpixel matrix (Nexus Prime rumored) like SAMOLED but at HD resolution
Super AMOLED Plus - SAMOLED but with real RGB subpixel matrix (Galaxy S II)
IPS - real RGB subpixel matrix (iPhone 4 using LG's IPS display, etc).
Super LCD - real RGB subpixel matrix (Sony phones, some Nexus S, etc.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones