• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post de-branding gold card questions

Steve_S_T

May 10, 2010
I de-branded my phone last week and successfully updated to FroYo. Instead of using the 16gb sdhc card that I use for my Desire for the de-branding I used the 4gb card that came with the phone, and so that was the SD card with the gold card on it. However, once FroYo was installed I took that 4gb card out and replaced it with the the 16gb again, thereby removing the gold card from the phone. Since then I've read that de-branded phones won't get any OTA updates without the gold card, so I copied the folder containing the gold card from my desktop onto the 16gb sim card in it's own folder. So, my two questions are;

Firstly, is it true that I need the gold card to get updates? Secondly, if the first is correct will simply copying the gold card file onto the sd card do the job, will the phone recognise it, and enable me to get updates?

Thanks,

Steve.

Ok, one final question before I go home. When I looked on my 4gb card last night (mounted as a usb disk drive) I could not see any mention of gold card amongst all of the other folders (Media, MP3 rosie_scroll etc). Is that normal - I assume that running the gold card from the pc when creating it formats the card in a certain "invisible" way rather than installing a gold card "app" or programme?

Thanks for indulging the questions.

Steve.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones