• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Froyo OTA: Your Battery Life

How has Froyo affected your battery life?

• It got better!

Votes: 134 27.1%
  • It got worse!

Votes: 220 44.4%
  • It stayed the same!

Votes: 141 28.5%

• Total voters
Today's a little better, but not much - 10h18m unplugged, battery @ 27%. Awake time is 1:45 hours, almost exactly an hour longer than the screen has been on.

according to the battery history, the Android System is keeping the phone awake.

Hmm. now THATS an odd one. While it sounds like something is delaying the phone from sleeping, it isn't keeping it awake either ( and most likely isnt really draining the battery. BTW: It isn't that Android is keeping it awake, but any time the phone is awake Android System is running...so an APP that keeps the phone awake, causes Android System to keep running at full. )

What all are your battery stats? The more info the merrier, because your times are just really weird.

Upvote 0
mine is horrible now. used to last from 8am to 9pm or so. its 3:00 now and the phone is dead....

Exact same scenario with me. I used to make it until about 9 with some heavy usage during the day. Since the update I've been hitting the charger at about 3 after very light usage. Stock battery, no task killer ever. So far this 2.2 update has been a downgrade for me...although that one flash video I watched was pretty cool, I guess.

Upvote 0
I just turned off, Background data. Is that what you're talking about? Will it really effect it too much?

I did RUU yesterday @ 10am, by 3am when I got home, it was 11%. I worked 8 hours too without using the phone. Horrible battery life.

Anyway, I dealt with Verizon today at the store and they sucked, so I called and they sent me a free 2150MAH n cover.

I did the same thing (background data), and now my phone is back to where it was before the update. I also went in and deleted a couple of superflous apps that I had.

I am pretty pleased, but I am thinking about calling verizon to see what they will send me.:D

Upvote 0
Haha, seeing the results of this poll makes me think that battery life almost stayed the same and this issue is more about a comparison of people who are either the "half glass empty" or "half glass full" types.

Mine was terrible on the first charge after the update. Today, however its way better. I wonder if it has something to do with the first use after the first charge, meaning people like me who complained where people who just got the update, and people who are happy are people on their 2nd or 3rd charge?

Upvote 0
Mine was terrible on the first charge after the update. Today, however its way better. I wonder if it has something to do with the first use after the first charge, meaning people like me who complained where people who just got the update, and people who are happy are people on their 2nd or 3rd charge?

I do think that the battery calibration was reset. However, much like launch my battery has shown little to no change in any way, it was good when I first got it, it stayed the same after a number of cycles. Same with the OTA.

On the other hand, there are some people who have gone through quite a lot and are still having major issues. I'm trying to help them, but I think it's starting to look like a new problem ( VS the usual awake, or just high drain apps. ), though it's hard to say ATT.

Upvote 0
I wonder if it's a device design/poor QA issue (as opposed to a software issue) going on here.

I have a relatively new (<1 week) HTC Incredible phone. I have the screen brightness about 40% (fixed). Screen timeout to 15 seconds. Only Gmail/FB fetching updates in the back. No LiveWallpaper. It's running FroYo since yesterday. A full charge of battery won't last the whole day (in fact, only about 8hrs) and it's been like that since I got it. My last devices (Eris and Droid) I could go 3 full days of normal use in between charges. While I understand the bigger memory, fast CPU, bigger screen, etc. The fact is that the battery life is pathetic. Actually, almost to the point of uselessness if you don't plan to have a power source close by at all times which kind of defeats the purpose of having such neat and full-featured device. i'm seriously beginning to think it's an HTC issue, not an Android issue.

/vent

Upvote 0
I have no idea why some people have terrible battery life. All I know is that more frequent syncs and apps running can kill the battery. So if you don't have an app killer running looking for things, sync only every few hours and have no battery or news or other type of widgets running then battery life should be pretty long. Hard to compare apples to oranges if you know what I mean.

Upvote 0
After the update my uptime and awake time became exactly the same...i do not know which app that was forced with the update is causing this.

It might not be one of the forced apps. The OTA could have just triggered an already installed app to start doing, or it could be coincidence. Stuck awake is a glitch that just kind of happens randomly.

I wonder if it's a device design/poor QA issue (as opposed to a software issue) going on here.

I have a relatively new (<1 week) HTC Incredible phone. I have the screen brightness about 40% (fixed). Screen timeout to 15 seconds. Only Gmail/FB fetching updates in the back. No LiveWallpaper. It's running FroYo since yesterday. A full charge of battery won't last the whole day (in fact, only about 8hrs) and it's been like that since I got it. My last devices (Eris and Droid) I could go 3 full days of normal use in between charges. While I understand the bigger memory, fast CPU, bigger screen, etc. The fact is that the battery life is pathetic. Actually, almost to the point of uselessness if you don't plan to have a power source close by at all times which kind of defeats the purpose of having such neat and full-featured device. i'm seriously beginning to think it's an HTC issue, not an Android issue.

/vent

It is possible you got a bad battery, but more likely something is just wrong ( typically a misbehaving app )

Can you give some detailed battery usage info? ( If you don't know how to find any of it, you can PM me. )

8 hours usually takes some fairly heavy usage, lots of pandora, browsing the web, taking pictures, phone calls, push emails, etc.

Upvote 0
It is possible you got a bad battery, but more likely something is just wrong ( typically a misbehaving app )

Can you give some detailed battery usage info? ( If you don't know how to find any of it, you can PM me. )

8 hours usually takes some fairly heavy usage, lots of pandora, browsing the web, taking pictures, phone calls, push emails, etc.

Top 3 of the battery usage goes (according to battery usage panel) to:

Cell Standby: 39%
Phone Idle: 34%
Dialer: 14%

As said above I only got gmail/FB background fetching. No net radio or any other streaming service. No pix/vids today. Only about 22 minutes talk time.

Upvote 0
Battery after second day

It shows 58% after almost 13 hours of moderate use ( several phone calls some downloads numerous emails 0

I have only had the phone for two days but i am very happy so far as stated on previous post i installed 2.2 as soon as i got the phone so i have no 2.1 experience

My quadrant score is 1292

speedtest speed 1.9 down 800 up

The screen has excellent resolution

touch screen sensitivity seems to be spot on

Good work HTC and Verizon

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,

So I just wanted to know how everyone's Awake vs. Up time is after the Froyo update. Before Froyo my Awake time was just a small fraction of my Up time, but now with Froyo they are identical and this is severely killing my battery.

Just wanted to know if this is due from the forced apps (Skype, Amazon mp3, VZ Navigator, etc...) that were included with the Froyo update that could be causing this?

Upvote 0
What is everyone's Up/Awake times? I'd expect those of you who are having battery problems to have much closer up and awake times. Just a thought. Oh and I'm not sure if my charging time has increased or what, I just plug it in when I go to bed and take it off the charger when I wake up.

Up Time: 4:26:30
Awake Time: 3:52:01
Battery Level - 8% remaining

Android System - 49%
Display - 14%
Cell Standby - 13%
Wi-Fi - 12%
Maps - 6%
Phone Idle - 3%
Beautiful Live Weather - 3%

I recently did a factory reset after receiving / installing the 2.2 Froyo OTA. After the update, my battery life was horrible. I've been on my phone non-stop trying to get things back to the way they were.

Can anyone explain the difference between UP TIME and AWAKE TIME what affects both?

Upvote 0
Well about 3 days ago i got official 2.2 on my Dinc. the battery life was never good on it but it would get me atleast a good 7 hours of use, sometimes more.

also when i noticed then i charged it say its at 10% within 20 mins it would almost be at 30% and fully charge within a hour.

after 2.2 my phone will go from 100% to like 80% within a hour of normal txt use almost. and now ive been charging it from 5% its been over a hour and its at 29% any one else having this prob or a solution?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones